33 weeks and need a growth scan :(

Happenstance

Reaction score
I was at the midwife yesterday and my uterus is measuring around 3-4 weeks behind where it should be. She's booked me for a growth scan on Friday to check that everything is okay with the baby and I'm so worried.

I've been consulting good old Dr Google but keep reading stories about ladies who are petite and were naturally expecting small babies. Neither me or DH are small (I'm 5'8" and size 12 and DH is 6 foot). I didn't have any issues with my first pregnancy and DD was born weighing 8lb 4oz. I'm so worried and Friday seems like a lifetime away. Does anyone have any experience of this or what might cause me to be measuring small? :shrug:

Try not to worry I was referred for static growth and had a growth scan yesterday baby is weighing 6lb 8oz at 37 weeks with a predicted birth weight of 7.5-8.5 at birth so they said she's fine it could be position of baby or fluid levels etc
It's good that there keeping a close eye though let us know what they say :hugs:

Definitely don't worry!! I'm going for a static growth scan tomorrow as according to the mw's measurements yesterday, my LO has shrunk :wacko:

Same happened with my first and she was just fine - if you think about it, the whole measuring of something that can curl up into a ball or move to a different position, with a tape measure, isn't a very exact science! My mw even said that she knows that the mw who measured me last, always measures bigger than her...

I also keep getting told that I'm going to have a small baby this time (daughter was 7lb 10oz) as my bump isn't that big, but like you I'm a size 12, 5'7" and partner is over 6' so it seems unlikely! Last time they guessed that my daughter would be 6lb so they were quite a way off!

It'll be fine :)

I was referred for static growth at 34 weeks, I'd previously always measured shed and suddenly started following a different curve. Bubs measured 5lb 3oz at my scan and was perfectly fine. She was born at 39 weeks weighing 7lbs 3oz.

It could be down to positioning, fluid or even who is measuring! I'd had several different people doing it throughout. It's mostly precautionary so try not to worry.

My uterus was measuring 2 weeks behind but at my growth scan baby was measuring healthy within the 57th percentile. My baby is also transverse, i think that's why the uterus measurement was small.
good luck with the scan, hopefully all will be well x

I've had growth scene since 20 weeks, but at my 33 week appt fundus measured at 30 weeks! The growth scan following, all was fine and when they measured my fundus this week it was spot on. My baby is only in the 27%tile, but fund us is still correct now even with her small. That measurement can be highly in accurate and they really only use as a precaution BC every now and then it can help them make an early iugr diagnosis. But almost all the time it is nothing and it is effected by numerous variables. Don't worry. I'm sure Friday all will be fine!

Try not to worry. I measured four weeks behind last time round and at 31 was I was sent for growth scan - baby was a perfectly normal size. I think the final height measurement thing is very hit-and-miss to be honest!

Sorry the iPad is auto-correcting! Weeks not was and fundal not final!

I'm 35 weeks and overweight, and yesterday I was measuring small as well and had to have an ultrasound. Turns outs everything was fine and baby was measuring perfect! You really shouldn't stress yourself out, rarely does measuring small mean harm, your doc or mw just like to be on the safe side.

Thanks so much for your replies. I just can't stop worrying. I've also lost two pounds since the start of the week so I'm freaking out even more. I know chances are everything will be okay, I'm just so nervous. Thanks for being there :hugs:

I don't think short ladies mean small babies.

I am 5ft 1in and my babies were 8lbs, 8lbs 12oz & 9lbs 4oz.
My sister is same height as me and had a baby of 8lbs 15oz
and my mum is about the same and had 9, 11, 13lbers.

hope all goes well at your scan x

Thanks so much for your replies. I just can't stop worrying. I've also lost two pounds since the start of the week so I'm freaking out even more. I know chances are everything will be okay, I'm just so nervous. Thanks for being there :hugs:

Don't worry weight gain or loss has no baring on the weight of baby.
with my third i lost 11lbs due to severe morning sickness, by the end of my pregnancy i put 10lbs back on, and was still 1lb less than pre pregnancy weight. my son was born at 38weeks and weighed 8lbs 12oz.

Had my scan yesterday and baby is measuring smaller than average, but they don't think I'll need any further growth scans as it was in the forty centile. I think the most reassurance I got was "it's not the biggest baby, but it looks okay". Geez, thanks!

I'm glad there were no obvious concerns but I'm still worried about why I'm measuring small. DD was above 75th centile throughout. And I always thought second babies were meant to be bigger :shrug: I don't suppose us mums ever stop worrying though! Thanks again for all your replies :flower:

I've also lost a few lbs over the past two weeks, but from what I've read its actually quite common to quit gaining weight or even lose a little towards the end of your pregnancy. It actually seemed like it was a good sign that things were progressing nicely and normally. :thumbup::flower::thumbup:

Had my scan yesterday and baby is measuring smaller than average, but they don't think I'll need any further growth scans as it was in the forty centile. I think the most reassurance I got was "it's not the biggest baby, but it looks okay". Geez, thanks!

I'm glad there were no obvious concerns but I'm still worried about why I'm measuring small. DD was above 75th centile throughout. And I always thought second babies were meant to be bigger :shrug: I don't suppose us mums ever stop worrying though! Thanks again for all your replies :flower:

Oh, hun, I wouldn't worry about that. 40th%tile is great! Some babies are just meant to smaller. :flower:

Don't feel so bad... my baby is apparently in the 95th percentile... I think I'd rather have a small one than a big one. :)

You're the same height as me, my fundal height always lagged behind a bit and often stayed the same from week to week, the midwife said it was because I am tall (ish) and there is more room for baby to hide! Also as baby starts to engage your fundal height can stay the same. Try not to worry, chances are your baby is hiding somewhere!!

Sorry I completely missed the second page! Glad your baby is ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->