34wk Ultrasound Shows She's STILL Breech :(

MImom2be

Recent Mommy~6-13-13!
Reaction score
As the title says, hubby and I had our 34wk ultrasound this morning and to our disappointment, Viv is STILL in breech. I have read that she can still turn around even at this point, so why is my ob/gyn starting to mention "preparing for c-sections"? I asked him if our baby girl being breech was the ONLY reason he was mentioning a c-section and he said yes, so logically, if I can somehow get her to flip, it should at least up the possibility of a natural birth, right?

So I've been scouring Spinning Babies' website and I am going to start the exercises for flipping her. But when I mentioned trying to flip her, and even showed the doctor the website he actually seemed to get ANGRY???

He couldn't see how "those exercises could benefit the baby" or why I would "waste my time, c-sections are no-big-deal". Um, what the hell? Should I be scolded for wanting a NATURAL birth? Why cut me open if you don't have to???

Here's my question, other than exercises (which I am limited to because of being "high risk" since 9wks along) is there ANYTHING I can eat/drink, etc???

Moxibustion? Or the spinning babies exercises...they really do work.

It is nice to hear from someone who swears by the Spinning Babies techniques! At this point, what could it hurt?

Another question-- how do I know when she's flipped? I feel so much pressure now, I have no idea if I could even tell the difference if she flipped?

I could always tell by where I felt her hiccups...when she was transverse I felt hiccups on my side, when head down I feel them in my pelvis, etc. Plus I can definitely tell when she sticks a foot out my side! Once she flipped, her butt has always been in the same place. I believe there is a page on belly mapping on spinning babies too though.

With my anterior placenta, everything just feels so weird...I'm not sure WHAT I'm feeling (whether hiccups, elbows or feet) and usually it feels just so muffled. :/

One thing's for sure, if I can try to change her position, I'm certainly going to try, It'd be wonderful if I was able to help her navigate down into head-down position before my due date!

I read somewhere that the baby wants it head warm, so if you put something cold on the top of your belly and something warm at the bottom it will help her move to a head down position. There is still room in there for her to flip, so don't give up!

I just posted on another thread that I was head down at 32, breech at 36, head down on Saturday night at 37+ 3 then she flipped again and by yesterday morning she was breech again!
Plenty time for your baby to turn but doctor will want to book a csection slot for 39 weeks + 'just in case'. If the baby turns before the date, you will be allowed to proceed as normal.

My sil gave birth just over 6 weeks ago. He was breech right up until 39 weeks. They mentioned c section, but she was adamant she still wanted a vaginal birth. Her 2nd was delivered breech with no problems, very quick labour and delivery. From 30+ weeks though she was doing the exercises on spinning babies, scrubbing the kitchen floor on all fours, things like that. So they can still turn right at the last minute!!

My baby is still breech and has been since 25 weeks at least. I started doing spinning babies exercises around 32 weeks (minus head stands, couldn't manage them lol) and tried chiro (look up Webster's technique. I had three sessions of that in a week). Other things to try are Reflexology and Hypnotherapy or moxibustion. Additionally if you wish you can ask for an ECV which are generally done at 37 weeks. I personally declined the ECV as I believe that having tried everything else possible to encourage the baby to move (and it did go transverse after my second chiro treatment before going back to breech two days later) there's a reason my baby is breech some chose not to try anything invasive and go with the flow. But that's MY experience, all the above mentioned things have very high likelihoods of flipping the baby vertex and are absolutely worth trying. Plus its not unheard of for babies to flip even in labour.

My hospital is pushing an elective c section as well but I'm standing my ground and refusing it and will be attempting a vaginal birth as there are consultants at my hospital experienced with vaginal breech deliveries and as much as they can say its against hospital policy to do them, they cannot refuse my care. If your baby does decide to remain breech you can absolutely explore other avenues and still have a breech birth if that's what you want. But you have to decide what's best for you and your baby in your own situation. Don't let anyone make it for you :flower:

Thanks ladies!

I will be trying the exercises, but all else fails, I will explore all options and my husband and I will make that decision, as NDH said, I will not allow the hospital to make that decision for me.

Nick and I have already said we will NOT have another child after this (a very, very hard pregnancy) so I don't want anyone robbing me of my one chance to experience this.

If you get a chance, check out breech birth videos on YouTube. They really are amazing to watch! If you do decide you want a VBB instead of a cesarean (assuming she doesn't turn of course ) know your rights consider getting a doula cause hospitals are big bullies and it really helps to have someone help you stand your ground. But if you decide to have a c section that's OK too. I just feel really strongly about making sure women know they have options in this situation cause I felt really trapped until I realised it myself.

:hugs:

Fingers crossed for you, babies can still flip at this point. I know my mom was pregnant with me, and I was transverse at something like 42- 42 1/2 weeks(I was born at 43 weeks) and I flipped just prior to birth into perfect position. So it can happen. I'd try the exercises and ignore your doctor being pro c-section. C-sections are definitely great in some circumstances and can save the lives of babies and moms, but if you can convince baby to flip and be born naturally, even better IMO!

https://joyinbirthing.com/months/month7/hypnosisbreech/

Apparently there has been at least one case study indicating that hypnosis is a very powerful tool in turning breech babies.

You can get a CD for it:

https://www.amazon.com/Turn-Your-Br...9136568&sr=8-1&keywords=turn+your+breech+baby

From a mum who's had a section due to baby being breech I can say it's not bad. I know you want to have a vb but I'm just reassuring you sections aren't all that bad if it comes to it.
They did suggest a vb for me on the night of my section as I had gone to 8cm at home but I said no, I had done research on breech vb's and I didn't feel that I was comfortable with it.
ps I lost my angel baby on 31st Dec 2011 and my lo's due date was 31st Dec 2012. Though she came early.

Good luck and fx baby turns.
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back