38 & tcc # 1

shinyshoes

Reaction score
Hello!!

I've been a 'lurker' on this site for quite a while, but this is my first post - so be gentle!!

I seem to leave everything late in life and this is no different, I didn't even think I wanted children until recently. I would love to hear from other late starters like me and would also like to know if there are any books you would recommend on TTC later in life?

:flower:

Hello!!

I've been a 'lurker' on this site for quite a while, but this is my first post - so be gentle!!

I seem to leave everything late in life and this is no different, I didn't even think I wanted children until recently. I would love to hear from other late starters like me and would also like to know if there are any books you would recommend on TTC later in life?

:flower:

Hi shinyshoes!!

Great name! I'm 35 and also a late starter. I've always been quite career driven, but when I hit 35 my clock started to tick louder! I'm in cycle 5 of TTC#1. The first 3 months we tried the not trying, not preventing method, but I've recently started using OPK's and charting my BBT, which can help if you're a worrier like me!
In terms of books, I was recommended Taking Charge Of Your Fertility. It's quite a big book, but can definitely help if you seem to be struggling and you can read the relevant chapters to you without having to read the thing in its entirety.
Good luck with your TTC'ing I wish you lots of Babydust! :)

Hi Shinyshoes!

I'm 38 & ttc#1 too. Can't say I'm career driven or anything - just took a long time to find Mr Right! He's more "if it happens then great but no big deal if not" whereas I'm more "let's make it happen".

Often think "if only I were 10 years younger..." but no doubt I'd still be doing the whole emotional rollercoaster each month anyway.

Hi Starsheep - thanks for replying! I haven't left it late for career reasons or waiting for Mr Right, I've been with him for 12 years - I just always seem to be a late starter........!!

I've not tried charting or taking temps but I've got the clearblue monitor and am in the 2WW (day 23) of my second cycle using it. I'm pretty sure this isn't going to be the month. Anyone else using it?

La Bergere - thanks for the recommendation - order placed with Amazon!! Looking forward to reading it and 'taking charge'.

Am also taking CoQ10 having read good things about it! Do any of you take other supplements?

Hi Starsheep - thanks for replying! I haven't left it late for career reasons or waiting for Mr Right, I've been with him for 12 years - I just always seem to be a late starter........!!

I've not tried charting or taking temps but I've got the clearblue monitor and am in the 2WW (day 23) of my second cycle using it. I'm pretty sure this isn't going to be the month. Anyone else using it?

La Bergere - thanks for the recommendation - order placed with Amazon!! Looking forward to reading it and 'taking charge'.

Am also taking CoQ10 having read good things about it! Do any of you take other supplements?

Hi shinyshoes!
I take Evening primrose oil (I think it helps fertile CM), B6 and folic acid. I started taking the CoQ10, but it gave me a really upset stomach (ew!)

I too leave everything late! But i would recommend a trip to the dr for preliminary tests so that you know everything is right and ready to go. I waited for 18 months before going and everything takes sooooooo long! Good luck!

Hi Shinyshoes…

I rotate and take 1mg of folic acid then on the following day take one Jamieson B75 complex Vitamin. I also take NutraSea fish oil and Calcium with Vitamin D about three times per week. I eat primarily organic foods and local grass fed beef, poultry and pork.

I quit smoking and quit drinking about one year ago.

I'm 38 and turning 39 on Nov 8th.

I waited this long because it turned out my ex-husband didn't want kids and then my next BF didn't want kids. I stayed single for five years after that until I met the right man. This is our third month TTC.

I also have hypothyroidism that is controlled with 88mcg of Synthroid. I am average height and weight at 125lbs.

The only thing I worry about is that my tubes may be blocked due to two major abdominal surgeries in my mid-twenties to do a bowel resection from chron's and to remove a rotten appendix. I also had PID at age 23. All of which were treated and have been in remission ever since.

I go see a doctor on Nov. 13th to talk about fertility.

I'm close to testing though and will be testing on November 4th which will be 14dpo! I might wait until the 5th as last month and the month before I started my period eight hours after testing. I figure if I leave it a full day I'll know. My cycle is pretty regular at 26 days.

Anyhow, good luck and sorry about the length of this.

I too leave everything late! But i would recommend a trip to the dr for preliminary tests so that you know everything is right and ready to go. I waited for 18 months before going and everything takes sooooooo long! Good luck!

Hi ladies.. Am also a late starter- decided to become a nurse at 35 & to ttc at almost 38 (in December). We've been ttc for about 4 mths, but the first 3 I think we totally missed ovulation. We got it right last month using opks but unfortunately no bfp.

Izzie, i have had my progesterone checked & it indicated that I'm ovulating, & my OH's semen analysis has also come back ok. But given that you have obviously had various other tests done, im wondering when do doctors decide to do more invasive stuff?

Izzie, i have had my progesterone checked & it indicated that I'm ovulating, & my OH's semen analysis has also come back ok. But given that you have obviously had various other tests done, im wondering when do doctors decide to do more invasive stuff?

I went to my GP after trying for a year. i had basic blood tests, but was quickly referred to the hospital gyanaecologist for further investigation. I guess it depends on your test results and NHS trust.

Hi all,

I turn 38 in one month and am TTC #1 as well. This is my 3rd cycle of TTC. In the US, if you are over 35 you should get testing done after 6 months of TTC. I went before TTC because I was going to use a donor but my boyfriend relented after all my numbers were in. My amh is less than .16 which means I don't have much time left. My grandmother and mother had their last period at 38 so I'm racing the clock. Welcome to the TTC forums and hopefully we will all quickly move to the pregnancy forums!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the information! It's so great to hear from you - I had been feeling a bit alone with it all.

We first thought of TTC 2 years ago (but delayed it) had various tests then - DH had a semen analysis (the results of which he continues to brag about!) I had blood tests, a scan and HyCoSy - all was fine then so I'm hoping that's still the case. I recently had the 3 days FSH test which came back ok but I did have to really push for that as Dr didn't think it was necessary. Clearblue Monitor also suggests I'm ovulating ok. Am waiting for my thermometer to arrive - thought I'd give temping a go!

I'm at cycle day 24 today and took a test (bought a load of cheap ones) and it's a BFN which didn't surprise me as it feels like AF is on her way. Trying to be positive about it though and welcome a new cycle and another chance. Anyone else in the 2WW - how are you feeling??

Eve2012 - good luck testing tomorrow or Mon, fingers crossed for you!!! Let us know?

Hi Ladies, Just wanted to give you all some support. I too didnt find my hubby until late in life and we starting trying for our first when I was 37 and half. I have had some tears along the way, but Im currently nearly 10 weeks pregnant and 38 and everything is going well so far.

Stay positive, it can happen, it does happen!!!!!

My advice, learn your body, use OPK, chart your temperature and listen to what your body is saying to you. Make sure you take folic acid. We used Conceive Plus as I was lucky to have half a day of EWCM and that was normally a few days before "O" and if nothing is happening after 6 months, please go get yourself and hubby/other half to GP for all the tests.

Good luck and fingers crossed for you all xx

:dust::dust::dust:

I'm taking folic acid, B6 & B12 (to lengthen luteal phase) and trying soy again this month in the hope to shorten my cycles a bit. Think it might be doing something as already seeing a little EWCM & usually I don't get anywhere near O until about CD20something (today is CD14).

Congrats Taurus! Lovely to hear positive news :flower:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the information! It's so great to hear from you - I had been feeling a bit alone with it all.

We first thought of TTC 2 years ago (but delayed it) had various tests then - DH had a semen analysis (the results of which he continues to brag about!) I had blood tests, a scan and HyCoSy - all was fine then so I'm hoping that's still the case. I recently had the 3 days FSH test which came back ok but I did have to really push for that as Dr didn't think it was necessary. Clearblue Monitor also suggests I'm ovulating ok. Am waiting for my thermometer to arrive - thought I'd give temping a go!

I'm at cycle day 24 today and took a test (bought a load of cheap ones) and it's a BFN which didn't surprise me as it feels like AF is on her way. Trying to be positive about it though and welcome a new cycle and another chance. Anyone else in the 2WW - how are you feeling??

Eve2012 - good luck testing tomorrow or Mon, fingers crossed for you!!! Let us know?

AF got me right on time. I have a regular 26 day cycle so I can actually test Twice this month. I'll be TTC and testing on November 30th.

Good luck to you too!

Hi ladies, I am 35, dh 37, we are on our 5th cycle ttc. I know it hasnt been that long but its so frusterating. We have both had situations in our past that let us know we can both conceive but nothing is working? Im doing all the supplements, dh too. Aslo opk charting, preseed, everything! Am I just not being patient enough? Here in ca. The dr wont see you for 6 months to a year of trying.

Dammit - already tried posting somehow and lost it??!!

So what was I saying................??

Oh yeah, AF due imminently but I'm feeling much more positive than usual. The recommended book Taking Charge of Your Fertility has arrived and although I've only dipped in so far it seems really positive and it's made me feel that TTC can be a project and I'm good when I have something to work on!! I'm taking CoQ10, Royal Jelly and Folic Acid and also drinking Red Clover tea. Has anyone else tried the Red Clover - I've read good things about it so I'm hoping - actually it's pretty nice too!

Hope you all have a good day!!

Hi Ladies, Just wanted to give you all some support. I too didnt find my hubby until late in life and we starting trying for our first when I was 37 and half. I have had some tears along the way, but Im currently nearly 10 weeks pregnant and 38 and everything is going well so far.

Stay positive, it can happen, it does happen!!!!!

My advice, learn your body, use OPK, chart your temperature and listen to what your body is saying to you. Make sure you take folic acid. We used Conceive Plus as I was lucky to have half a day of EWCM and that was normally a few days before "O" and if nothing is happening after 6 months, please go get yourself and hubby/other half to GP for all the tests.

Good luck and fingers crossed for you all xx

:dust::dust::dust:

Wow - thanks for this positive news - it's great to hear and has certainly reminded me that it's possible!! Good luck with everything!!

Hi ladies,

Can I join this thread?

I'm 36 and ttc #1. I was quite career driven and also took me a while to find Mr. Right. We've been at it for 13 months, but timing wasn't always great and I don't think I'm always ovulating. This last month felt good, but was out of town during ovulation.

Taurus, thanks for the positive energy -- it's totally needed.

Shiny, I haven't head of Red Clover tea. Do you know what it is supposed to be good for?

And, SuzyQ, where in Wisconsin are you? I'm from Madison but now live in Australia. Nice to see someone from "home" here! :)

Hope there is good news for you all soon!

Hi Ladies!

just wanted to give you all some hope! I got my BFP on Thursday, Nov 8th! I actually thought I was on my period because I started bleeding on the exact day AF was due, but it was just a tiny bit and the next day it turned to more brownish! I had tested 2 days prior and got BFN (however I dug those tests out of the bathroom garbage and now I see that there was two lines! I just hadnt waited long enough).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->