38 weeks but measuring 33?! Concerned

sandandsun

Reaction score
So I am a bit over 38 weeks and had an appointment today. I measured at 33. My doctor was not concerned at all and did not feel the need to do a growth scan. I've been measuring right on track up until this point and she said it's probably because my baby is engaged.

I am a smaller person (5'4", size 0/2 pre pregnancy) and have only gained 21 lbs. thus far. But my doctor believes the baby will be a "good size" of 7-8 lbs.

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm sure my doctor would never take a chance if something could be wrong, but I can't shake it. If the baby has dropped, would I really measure significantly under my dates?

Thanks for any input!

i was recently to l&d for a serious of NST's & measurements. the doctor told me that basically, everybody measures a little differently. my OB puts me at 9 days ahead, the hospital on call OB had me as exactly dead on. i know that your's is a 5 week difference, but these are just estimates regardless. try to relax & trust your doctor. it can be hard to measure from the outside if the baby is engaged.
if you can't relax, don't be afraid to get a second opinion!

I'll be 40 weeks on Saturday and I measure at 35 weeks.. My midwife said its just because baby is fully engaged and its nothing to worry about.

Hope this helps :)

I'll be 40 weeks on Saturday and I measure at 35 weeks.. My midwife said its just because baby is fully engaged and its nothing to worry about.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks, ladies.

Flannz, that definitely helps to know! It just seemed to weird to me that my measurement changed so drastically in one week. I know that baby's position and baby being engaged can definitely change the measurement. But baby is still moving regularly and my doctor thinks he's a good size...so I guess I should stop worrying....I'm getting close now and you're already there! :)

Yes if baby has dropped hun the measurements go down I measured bang on every week then at my appointment on my due date Tuesday ive gone back to measuring 38 because she's so far down. Still waiting for her to arrive lol

Don't worry if baby has dropped its normal

Measuring behind late in pregnancy is normal is baby has dropped :)

Thanks, ladies. This does make me feel better! I guess I just need to trust that my doctor would not risk anything if she thought something was actually wrong. But I am anxious for next week's appt (39 weeks) to see how things are going!

Interesting that she even measured you. At a certain point they stop measuring because it doesn't provide any info.The baby drops down into your pelvis close to birth which then changes the "measurement" because the baby is no longer above your pelvis and is in fact partly inside. It is ABSOLUTELY nothing to worry about at this point in your pregnancy.Measurements mean nothing this late in pregnancy. Good luck you are going to have a baby soon!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->