3d Ultrasound Pic - Weird looking?

Amythyst

Reaction score
So, I wanted some opinions... I looked up 3d ultrasound pics on the web and everyone's pics looked nice and really could see what the baby looks like and they showed the ultra sound picture next to the real baby picture and they actually looked very similar.

I got a 3d picture today of the baby's face and to me he looks like a little mutant. Should I be worried? lol.

I know his face is a little smooshed cause he was snuggled up against the placenta...but like everything is droopy and his eyes look saggy. Is this just a bad picture? Has anyone else had a terrible 3d shot and the baby looked totally normal? :)

Attachments

• IMG_0591.jpg
    IMG_0591.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0590.jpg
    IMG_0590.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 69
Honestly?? I think all 3d ultrasound pics look like the baby's face is melting. If your baby looks like that when it comes out I'll eat my hat!! Still cute anyway but yes just looks a bit squished. I think when they move it just sort of drags the image on the pic. Never had one myself for this reason!!

I think it's normal...u/s technology is really limited. the angle/baby's position/placenta/etc all play a role in the clarity of the image. I personally aren't a fan of 3d/4d u/s although my old ob did them.

Looks like a cutie to me!!! I think you're fine :)

During my 20 week scan the doc did a few minutes of 3D and couldn't get a shot of the face because the baby was shoving his nose into my placenta (see my profile pic!). The doc took pictures anyway and I watched him tweak the settings trying to get us at least some view of the baby's face (which is probably what your tech did) but really there's only so much they can clean the image up if something is in the way. The end result of the image clean up was the baby looked like the Creature From The Black Lagoon, haha! That said, we got lots of 2d pics and his profile is perfect. We also caught a glimpse of his face, just for a sec, toward the end of the 2d session and it was a perfect little baby face. I wouldn't worry!

I believe this is normal, you are far along in your pregnancy and baby is pretty much squished in there now...when the baby is pressed against your placenta where the handheld part of machine is this is what happens. I went for my 3D4D ultrasound and at certain points baby looked very much like that when she was too close to the machine. For the most part she looked just fine but I got mine done when I was 27 weeks and she still has plenty of room. The tech also told me the best time to get a 3D4D was between 26-30weeks because anytime after that the baby is too big to get a good picture. And like others said, if there was something to worry about the doc would have said something.

A few of my ultrasounds from my previous pregnancy had the "melting face", or "smooshed face" look and some showed him looking handsome. He's a 3 year old hunk now!:winkwink:

This pregnancy my daughter isn't cooperating and every time I notice a great opportunity for the sono tech to snap a photo she moves and I get left with a distorted looking image. Sooooo it's all the u/s technology that's making your baby look like that. So many weird shadows that ruin the image. Don't worry, your baby wont look like the guy from the movie,"The Goonies." :flower::flower:

What week did you have it? My daughter looked scary on some of her 26 week plus 3 days. Her cheek bones were still boney as she had no fat. I thought other peoples looked nicer too. They would say if he was showing signs of anything. Sure hes fine xx

Thanks ladies! I feel much better now. :)

I just had that picture yesterday, which was 36 weeks.

I had mine at 28 wks and they said he was so smooshed if I came any later he wouldnt look like a baby in there lol. So probably he is just in a tight place :) honestly mine looked like that and the girl had to tweek the pics til we found something not too smooshed :) the pics came out good once she did that, but his nose was def squashed .....

Lol!!!!

This is so funny to me bc I so think 3d pics are creepy!!! She's given us like two good pics the rest is weird.

Like the other ladies said, I think he's just smooshed in there. When we had ours they said the best time to have them was 28-29 weeks because much after that they run out of room and end up looking, well like that lol.

Honestly?? I think all 3d ultrasound pics look like the baby's face is melting. If your baby looks like that when it comes out I'll eat my hat!! Still cute anyway but yes just looks a bit squished. I think when they move it just sort of drags the image on the pic. Never had one myself for this reason!!

Exactly this !

A lot of those 3D scans look like melted wax babies. I thought about getting one, but I wanted a little surprise at birth, and I was afraid I'd only get the creepy wax pictures. As others have said, there's a narrow window when you're likely to get good 3D pictures. Maternal size and placenta position can also screw things up. Your baby will be adorable :)

The clinic we used doesn't scan past 32 weeks for this reason. We went at 26 weeks and it was hard enough then to get decent pic as he was snuggling his placenta. Im sure he'll be a heartbreaker! :)

You're really late to be getting a 3d scan usually they don't rwcomwnd them after 31/32 weeks for this reason everything is too squashed so it's very hard to get a good photo x

I didn't actually "get" a 3d scan ... I was at my standard weekly MFM appointment and the baby was moving around like crazy and was like the most active we've ever seen him. Usually he's sleeping through the procedure. We saw him licking his lips, drinking fluid, putting his hands on his face... was adorable. Then the tech just attempted to get a face shot with 3d - I didn't even know they could do it cause they had never tried to do one before.

So, I didn't go out of my way or anything to get the picture ... they just happened to do one. :)

Lol its always magical to see your own. Makes it real to see them. I paid 140 for mine and it helped me bond was crazy to think she was in my tummy. He will be a gorgeous boy. My daughter hopefully will have cheeks lol xx

A lot of the ultrasounds you see in books and magazines are a lot earlier than you are, your baby just looks squished up running out of room very quickly!. I had a 4D scan a few days ago at 26+5 and he is already starting to look squashed.

I'm sure your baby won't look flat and squished when they come out x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->