3x Group 1 car seats

Mrs R

Reaction score
Hi girls, I have posted this elsewhere on the forum as I'm desperate for an answer!

As you can see from my ticker ladies, my kiddies are all under 3. We have got to the stage where my baby needs to come out of her baby car seat and move into the next seat up.

However we already have 2x stage 1 car seats in the car for the twins (the 9 months-4 years seat). They are not big enough to come out of these yet and I would prefer them to be in these seats for at least another year (they're the Maxi Cosi XP's).

So anyway... I went to Halfords yesterday to get a 3rd seat for the baby and it didn't fit in the car! I had thought this might happen but just crossed my fingers it would be ok lol So obviously i didn't buy the seat.
The shop assistant told me it wasn't legal to have 3 child seats in a row in the car (I drive a Vectra). I understand that it is not advisable to use the middle seat but is it illegal??

I am also now faced with how the heck I am going to get all my children into one car lol We've agreed we will need a bigger car. But which car we get all depends on what the law on baby seats is. And where do I find this info out as Im hitting a brick wall with it. Is it ok to have 3 in a row if each seat is properly fitted or do we need to look at a 7 seater with 2 rows of back seats??

Please help!! It's driving me bonkers!

I've just messages a lady from here who I have on FB, can't remember her username for the life of me :dohh: I'm pretty sure she should be able to help you x

Yes of course you can have three seats in a row if they all fit properly. I would ignore advice from Halfords, they told me it was dangerous and illegal to have a child rear facing after 9 months, despite selling a seat that is supposed to be RF after that.

Can you put the baby seat in the front seat with the airbag deactivated? We have two big ERF seats in the back of our Golf and when we have an extra adult passenger I sit between the seats in the back. It's not exactly ideal but until you can get a bigger car or swap the older kids' seats for something smaller, it should be okay as long for an average size adult. Or if your older kids are in FF seats, put one in the front seat and the second adult should have a bit more room in the middle of the back, or the baby seat might fit better in the middle if you have a full seat belt there.

I've just Googled and other people with Vectras say they have three seats across the back with no problems. Perhaps you need to look at different seats for your older kids?

Yes of course you can have 3 seats in a row, I do!!!

Try different car seats, a different make might fit or you could put one on the front seat or get new car seats for the twins xx

Oh cause you can, why else would some cars (like ours) have 3 isofix points across the back? Lol, besides, the safest spot in a car fora car seat is infact the middle seat!

We have 3 seats(stage 0 and 2 stage 1's), it is a Peugeot 5008, fab car if you do have to end up changing to fit the seats in

Oh cause you can, why else would some cars (like ours) have 3 isofix points across the back? Lol, besides, the safest spot in a car fora car seat is infact the middle seat!

We have 3 seats(stage 0 and 2 stage 1's), it is a Peugeot 5008, fab car if you do have to end up changing to fit the seats in

^^ I second that, if you do get a new car the 5008 is fab, I absolutely love it :thumbup:

Yes you can 3 in a row so long as they fit correctly. Also it is advisable to use the middle for a car seat, in fact if its possible to fit the seat in the middle then that's the best place for it be as its actually the safest place in the car!

Not at all illegal, we have a 7 seater but ofen have 3 seats in the middle row - Britax first class plus, an erf seat and a booster seat.

I have a ford focus and three children. my two girls are in stage 1 carseats and my son is now in a stage 2. They fit in just fine and are all correctly fitted. They will only fit in one way. I used to have a Zafira but I crashed it twice and it was just too big for me too drive :( I love my focus and they're bigger than you think. However, if I could afford it I'd have a Nissan Quashqai +2 as I've heard so many good things about them and they look lovely.

I do wonder what these 'trained' fitters are told when they are 'trained'!! I had an argument with my friend who worked at Mothercare and they were to refuse to fit car seats to the front seat and were telling folk it was illegal to have a car seat in the front - end of - not about the air bag etc or the under 130cm rule.

Rather worrying..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->