4-5lb weight gain in one week - how is this possible?

nicksi27

Reaction score
Can constipation cause major weight gain? By 20/21 weeks id gained 22lb :blush:. I started eating better (although i wasnt that bad anyway really). Ive been gaining about 1lb a week on average and honestly if i ate as healthy as i do now when i wasnt pregnant i probably would have lost weight pre-pregnancy.

Anyway, this week ive gained 5lb but im very constipated. Could this be the reason? ive tried everything bran, lactulose, more water and nothing works. i feel disgusting :wacko: I dont have any swelling etc and bp is fine. I dont get how i can put nearly half a stone on in a week. im already up 38lb aaarrrggghhhhh

are u drinking enough water... i had a week wh i forgot to drink my usual 2L per day and I gained like 2-3 pounds in that one week....

will also help with constapation...

i cant imagine being constipated would help the weight gain issue... probably does have something to do with it

It will be due to the constipation, as if you're not going to the toilet then the food waste is just backing up inside you and therefore will contribute to weight gain. Can't recommend anything to help though I'm afraid, sorry x

I think it could. I am also constipated right now, ugh, and don't want to bother weighing myself as normally I go all the time. The culprit is my iron supplement. All that being said, they do say to call in over sudden big unexplained weight gain so maybe let your doc/MW know? Have you tried prune juice? I might go buy all bran today.

I think it could. I am also constipated right now, ugh, and don't want to bother weighing myself as normally I go all the time. The culprit is my iron supplement. All that being said, they do say to call in over sudden big unexplained weight gain so maybe let your doc/MW know? Have you tried prune juice? I might go buy all bran today.

I was on iron but i stopped it because i couldnt handle the constipation but its back with a vengenace now anyway! I mentioned the weight gain to the mw yesterday and all she said was 'weetabix'. I told her id tried increased bran and medication. She checked my bp and measured my belly and then said 'weetabix' again. Fair to say shes not the best mw around lol. I think ill buy some prune juice tonight.

Yeah it can,I had it so bad early on and was loads lighter once it cleared!

Prune juice will work a treat. Just dont drink a whole glass or youll have the opposite effect! X

lol, I was going through a bottle of prune juice a week near the end of my first pregnancy. Ugh! That constipation is awful. I wound up drinking a cup of it before bed every night at first, and then I went down to half a cup a night once I was going regularly. I drank it at night so the gas and stuff would pass while I slept; the stuff made me very gassy. hehehe

Anyway, good luck!!!!! I really hope it works; I know how awful this feels! :(

lol, I was going through a bottle of prune juice a week near the end of my first pregnancy. Ugh! That constipation is awful. I wound up drinking a cup of it before bed every night at first, and then I went down to half a cup a night once I was going regularly. I drank it at night so the gas and stuff would pass while I slept; the stuff made me very gassy. hehehe

Anyway, good luck!!!!! I really hope it works; I know how awful this feels! :(

thanks xdxxtx .... ive just popped to the shop in my lunchbreak, bought a bottle of prune juice and had half a big glass of the horrible stuff (didnt know how much to have). If this doesnt work, nothing will lol .... fingers crossed :winkwink:

I gained 4lb in two consecutive weeks and I have no constipation woes! I was so shocked but then lost 2.5lb the following week. Hoping I'll be down or at least stay the same this week. I'm thinking maybe it was water retention?

yes hun it will make you put on sweets it happens to me too xxx

Yes. constipation also causes water retention. My OB recommended Miralax to help with it, and it really works. I only have to take it about once a week and I'm regular for the whole week (sorry if it's tmi). Once your constipation clears up, you will feel a whole lot better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->