4 days old not feeding much

jenjo1992

Mummy To 1 Angel
Reaction score
hello all!

me and steven have just brought our new baby home called faye :flower:

she was feeding quite well in hospital taking approx 30-40 ml from cow and gate starter bottle which the hospital provided but when we have taken her home and used the tommie tippi bottles she will not feed over 1 ounce of milk and this was since yesterday at 7pm

it has continued right through the night where she will only take about 1 ounce of milk from the bottle and we are slightly concerned

any help or guidence on this 1 would be most welcomed..:)

Congrats hun. She's still sooo young, she will start to take more when she's ready. Omar was taking 20-30 mls per feed when we came back from the hospital. At this gae feed on demand, once she starts draining her bottles, you can start offering her more. If she seems fine while feeding (not crying or fussing while feeding, & having wet nappies) there is nothing to worry about. Good luck hun xxx

Her tummy is really tiny at this age. This is why they eat often because they can only take in a little at a time.

How many wet\dirty diapers? It's usually a good indication of if she's getting enough. Remember a newborn pee - a good pee - is like a couple teaspoons usually not enough to really notice in a disposable diaper.

Sounds quite normal hun, remember the birth is a tiring old business for baby aswell, it takes them a little whle to adapt etc, just keep an eye on nappies and make sure she has plenty of wet/dirty ones.

Congratulations on you LO, what a beautiful name x

I really wouldn't worry hun, babies tummy's are soo tiny yet. How often is she feeding? All babies are different, some take small amounts where some take alot. If your LO is having around 8 wet nappies (i've been told) this is a good indication they are getting enough.

xxxx

We had the same problem at the same age. What really matters is if se's starting to gain weight by about day 5 and also what her daily intake is. The midwife said by day 4 our LO should be taking at least 2ozs a feed 8 times a day. We tried for an hour per feed and we just couldn't get him there and he was still losing weight by day 7 and had lost 10% of his birth weight by then.

The next week tho he turned a corner and has eaten loads and gained weight ever since. The midwife had us sick with worry which I think was unneccessary - somebabies are just slow starters. I'm sure your LO would be fine and you are in good hands the first 2 weeks with midwife visits and lots of weigh ins.

We tried loads of things especially different bottles and teats - Nuk ones seemmost recommended so maybe worth a try? - but nothing worked except he needed a bit of time. And he loves his Tommee Tippee bottles now!

Just concentrate on the weight gain and don't worry and enjoy your baby - wish we had more at that time!

X

Ava took about the same in the first week and she still only takes 2-3oz per feed at 5 weeks but she feeds every 2 hours or so xx

Their stomach is only the size of a marble at this stage so 1oz is fine, all babies are different. I'm presuming from your ticker that being born at 38 weeks, that shes not a huge baby? xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->