4 year old wants to read--good book suggestions?

Maggs

Reaction score
As the title says. He spends a fair chunk of his day either doing those workbooks or sounding out words and now he is taken to pointing words out in books we're reading and wanting me to show him how to read them. He will take his magnadoodle and sit with a book and copy words out of it. He even sounded out and spelled most of his brother's name this morning and I'd only showed him once weeks ago. Yesterday he even visually says s i t is sit and is drawing it in the air with his finger then goes and gets the magnadoodle and writes it down without any instruction from me!

Most of the books we have are books big enough for us to read with him but I'd like to get him some simple level 1 books. I've heard the Oxford Learning Tree ones are good. He'll be going to school in Scotland if that helps.

We have the biff chip and kipper collection. DS gets there's from school aswell. Not sure how much they cost as ohs mum got them but I saw some similar ones in tkmaxx.

Mo Williams books, especially the series with the elephant and piggie, are hilarious for that age! And simple enough for a beginning reader.

Julia Donaldson songbirds , dr suess early readers books, Biff Chip & kipper books (there is also an app )

I was going to suggest Julia Donaldson songbirds too. Not many schools use them so it won't be repeated when he starts school & it's all phonics based so the words sounds as they are spelled iyswim :)

Eta: sign up to oxfordowl.co.uk and you get free ebooks for different age groups. You can sample the songbirds books, biff chip and kipper & project x phonics (aimed at helping boys achieve in reading - but our school used them for the whole class & dd loves the adventures!!). We read them as extras on the iPad to support school learning.

We have the Julia Donaldson Songbirds collection. At School, Jacob brings homes the Chip, Biff & Kipper books.

I would also recommend a Leapfrog Leapreader. Jacob loves his. We have the Flash Cards (you can make up words with them) and various books, writing & world map/solar system.

Book people do Biff &Chip and Songbirds at a decent price. They also do the ladybird ones.
I'd try to capture his interest but don't push him too far or he'll be bored in P1. I might ask preschools advice on how to support this stage.

We've been using a lot of the Dr Seuss beginner reader books, and my son seems to like those. They are fairly easy, but there are definitely words I have to help him with that are a bit beyond beginner level.

We have the usborne set with "red Ted's bed" and "Sam sheep can't sleep" etc, they're a big hit with my 3 year old and he can read quite a few of the words himself. They have flaps and a duck to find on each page so they're fun to look at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->