4 yr old tantrums/ discipline

lau86

Reaction score
It feels like my 4 yr old has always pushed the buttons and really keeps me on my toes (he can really sense it when I'm tired and will fully take advantage and is really clever!). However... The tantrums are a new thing. He didn't do that when he was younger. I can say... No you're not having a biscuit, no you're not watching this or that, and explain why and he will start screaming, jumping around, running about. He will do it in public too.
I just don't know how to deal with it. His brother has them sometimes and I don't know whether he's seen him and thinks it's a good thing to do. I usually just ignore and wait for him to calm down before talking to him about it but with a 4 yr old? Is that enough? It always seems to coincide with the Baby having a rare nap which wakes her up and makes me so angry!
He also does little things that I don't know how to deal with. He will put his sisters fingers in his mouth, he has had quite a few stomach bugs recently and I think it's unhygienic for him to put her fingers in his mouth. Is this worthy of a time out. I was going to do a marble jar or some kind of chart but I don't want to incentivise everything.
I think I need something new as my discipline has not been consistent as I'd like since the baby was born. Sometimes I forget to warn him (although I'm not sure that would make a difference) and just dish out the time out or toy taking away.

My 3 year old does that with the fingers. Drives me crazy! I don't do time-outs though, so I can't say what's worthy of one.

I have no advice and sitting in the same boat as well. I do realise that my eldest is copying the youngest behavior wise. It really irritates me because she has always been a good child. All of a sudden she would act out and it's driving me nuts!

I was hoping it would get better at 4 :dohh: :haha:

not 100% sure on the finger issue itself but if you've asked more than once for it to stop and he doesn't listen I'd personally say yes that's worth a small punishment like a time out.

The only way I'm surviving a 4 year old is by sticking to my threats, if I don't follow through with a threat my son doesn't listen or believe me the next time round and I'm screwed :haha: why do they have to be such clever little buggers?! Lol!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->