40% of first time home birthers end up transferring to hospital? can it be true?

I have learned so much recently since finding this section! I'm due in a couple of weeks and while a home birth doesnt appeal to me for different reasons, I have the option of a midwife led birthing unit. My concern is that if I stay locally and go to the unit then the transfer time to the nearest hospital is 2 hours. My other option is to head straight for the hospital as soon as labour starts or earlier and stay close to the hospital. I'm trying to keep thinking positively but at the back of my mind I can't help thinking what is something goes wrong and I'm a full 2 hours away from help. If the transfer time was greatly reduced then my decision would be much easier. Does anyone think this would affect their decision for home/ birthing centre delivery?

MrsMac5 - I think time/distance from the nearest hospital is a concern, is the 2 hours allowing for normal traffic conditions? If it is, bear in mind that if you were in an ambulance with blue lights (i.e being transferred because the baby was in distress etc) this time would be significantly reduced as you would go through traffic lights and past other cars etc.

Our nearest hospital is 16 miles away and in the car takes us just over 30 mins, but our MW says with blue lights it usually takes 15 mins from our area to the hospital by ambulance. Also, when you're at home the MWs have an ambulance on standby for you who are aware of your location etc so it take a minimal time for them to arrive to collect you (I assume this is the same at a birthing centre)

Ask your MW for some advice about journey times.

Ultimately, the mosty important thing is the safety of you and your baby, and although we may have idealistic ideas of how birth will be for us, I am keeping an open mind as when it comes down to it, I wont care what has to be done or where I end up giving birth as long as my babys ok.

You will know what feels right for you Im sure when the time comes. Remember, you can change your mind at the last minute if you choose home/birthing centre and go into hospital, but if you go straight to hospital you are less likely to be able to then go to the birthing centre instead.

Good Luck :) x

Don't forget that the mws caring for you at home or in a MLU know the transfer times and factor that in their reactions to different situations. Most issues don't come bam out of the blue. There's signs and warnings in advance so just as mws at home births are way mor cautious than hospital mws so will the MLU mws be. If it was truly 'dangerous' for that stand alone unit to be that particular distance from a full obstetric unit, it would have had enough bad outcomes to close it. Birth in the UK is safe where ever it takes place and the people in each local area know what's important in their particular scenario iykwim. :)

There would be an ambulance on site to transfer but taking into account the location I would say the minimum time to get to hospital would be 1hr 30 mins. What you are saying about the warning signs makes sense and I hadn't thought about that. If I do decide to head to the main hospital myself I am glad I read this section. I truly believe my last birth didn't go to plan due to so much intervention ie induction with drip leading to epi resulting in no lower body feeling so no pushing urge resulting in forcep delivery. All worked out in the end but I'm determined to be strong minded and not just do what I'm told this time.

That's the most important thing is ensuring you get the experience you want. Obviously this is my first so I cannot go on previous experience, however I am very stubborn and am determined not to feel. Persuaded or pressured into changing my plans to suit others. The only thing that should change things for you is the health of you and your baby. If there are no high risk circumstances I would go for whichever type of birth is your ideal.

Understanding why interventions are much more likely in a hospital environment versus a MLU or home and how interventions almost always lead to more is key. Then ensuring you have strong birth support around you who are going to help you advocate when you're not in a position to do so. I've known THE strongest women who campaign for maternity rights etc find themselves and their partners put under such extreme emotional pressure that they agree to things you wouldn't normally dream of them ever agreeing to. We are at our most vulnerable in labour as are our loved ones and when someone starts talking about something happening to you or your baby, it's hard not to cave in. A strongly worded birth plan or 'contract' is something that's helped people who have previously be railroaded. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->