42 weeks and counting!

2010mummy

Pregnant 1st trimester
Reaction score
Well, here I am at 42 weeks tomorrow, going slightly insane with boredom BUT went to hospital yesterday to have 'the talk' about induction which we declined, had scan and baby is completely fine; not too big, plenty of fluid, heart rate good, placenta good. In fact only measuring 40 weeks which suggest she's only just ready to come out. Got to go in for monitoring next week but as long as baby and myself are fine we will wait until she wants to come! The docs at hospitals love to scaremonger and are so induction ahppy even though that comes with significant risks, the risks are not huge with going over 42 weeks, not much larger than at 37 weeks and there has been so little research. I hope we don't get harassed about induction when we go for monitoring, we just don't want policy applied to us rather than our individual circumstances. I just wish they would say that they support our decision even though it is unusual rather than making us feel like freaks for not wanting induction.

There are sooo many more people who go over 42 weeks out there than anyone realises since so many women opt for induction pretty soon after their due dates the stats are probably quite skewed.

Anyway had a sweep, reluctantly yesterday since I was already having a show but the show is still going and other than mild backache/period pain/groing ache still nothing so I guess we're in for an even longer wait!

Anyone else significantly overdue or had post 42 weeks babies? My husbands older brother was 2 weeks late so maybe it runs in the family!

I went to 42 weeks with my son, but we ended up having a C-Section as he was breech. We were fully prepared to wait until he was ready to come out. I had already declined a sweep, and my midwife was desperate to get me induced! I read up a lot on it too hun, and I'm sure you're doing the right thing. There was a website I loved at the time - Ten Month Mamas - but I'm not sure if it's still going... It really reassured me that letting things go naturally was the right thing to do.

My midwife did say to me that if I'd stated it was against my religion to be induced, they'd have stopped pestering me. I'm going to keep that in mind if I go over this time.... Actually, that's what I find really annoying; I wasn't over!! 38-42 weeks is considered perfectly 'normal' so I don't get the rush to induce at bang on 40 weeks.

You're not a freak for not wanting an induction sweetie :D

xx

Anyway had a sweep, reluctantly yesterday since I was already having a show but the show is still going and other than mild backache/period pain/groing ache still nothing so I guess we're in for an even longer wait!

QUOTE]

Its a personal choice if you decline induction. Im not sure I would but if thats what you decide then so be it.

Just wanted to say the show/period type pains sound positive and fingers crossed that your baby makes an appearance soon

my son officially was due feb 5th but by my dates was 28th jan he didnt arrive until feb 17th it was only then they admitted her was a very overdue baby he had no fluid left around him but other than that and a bad case of dry skin he was a absolutely fine. he even smiled at 19 days old lol

Gosh those dates are really out Louise, did you have a scan to check for fluid levels?

Just wanted to pop in and send you labour dust!! :dust: :dust: :dust: x

Hello - I was 17 days over when I was reluctantly cajoled into being induced. I wanted as natural and active a birth as possible (ie not on a drip!) but I had a lot of pressure put on me and was so physically and emotionally exhausted, that I agreed to induction.

However, I don't really regret it - I stayed as active as possible through the contractions but LO wasn't going anywhere, so I ended up having a c-section, which was absolutely fine :) LO was born 18 days over

LO was perfectly happy - he just didn't want to come out, so who knows if he would've been a 43 week baby or what?! But you just have to go with the decisions you make at the time, with the information you have at hand and that was the most important thing I learnt.

I admire you for sticking to your guns - good luck with whatever decisions you make :D

i was 42 weeks with my last preg-bored out of my wits and so impatient. i asked my midwife if she was going to induce, her reply was that they come when they are done cooking!

best of luck.

i watch Portland Babies here in the UK and on each episode a woman is induced, sometimes even before their due date, i don't understand this obsession with induction.
if the baby is fine, I would try to wait as long as possible.
have you tried all the 'trick's they recommend?
on a blog i heard about a woman that brought labour on by going up the stairs two at a time for a while, which was recommended to her by her doula.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->