4th degree tear with 1st, now pregnant with #2

DebbieF

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with having a 4th degree tear? (baby was posterior) I had an easy recovery with it, but now that number 2 is on the way I am getting nervous.. Are you as likely to tear as badly again? Would it be a better idea to have a c section? Any stories of experience would be greatly appreciated.

I had a tear with my first and had another baby a year and a half later and the second baby was much bigger and no tears the second time, no stitches, nothing!

Good luck!

Not a 4th but I had a 3a with my first and then a 3b with my second (despite having laboured in the water). So I'm a bit paranoid at a third baby going into 4th territory and I would choose an ELCS.

Have a chat with your midwife at booking - you'll prob get to see a consultant anyway to discuss your options with history of a 4th - I know that having a 4th in the past would prevent you from using my local MLU, so there may be a greater potential for complications xx

I tore in 3 parts. I'm pregnant again and petrified lol

I'm not Sure what degree tear I had with my first, but it was quite bad. I tore again with my second, though not as bad. I didn't tear at all with my third though :)

I had a 3c/4th degree tear (on my notes it says 3c but on my surgery notes the surgeon recorded tearing into the anal canal/recturm and treatment for a 4th degree tear so I'm not really sure :haha:) and had a nice easy vaginal delivery 2nd time around. With my DS I had most of the risk factors for a bad tear- larger baby, back to back, longer 2nd stage of labour than anticipated, baby with his hand up by his face and got a bit stuck during pushing. With my 2nd I had some of the same factors- hand up and shoulder dystocia so got a bit stuck, back to back baby. But she was only 8lbs and my consultant agreed to a water birth which I feel really helped with my scar tissue stretching and I got away with tiny 1st and 2nd degree tears, no stitches :).

I had a 3rd degree tear with my first as well as internal tearing, so like you I was pretty scared of it happening again. Thankfully with my second (and third) I only had a very small graze that didn't require any stitches whatsoever, despite my babies getting bigger each time :)

All the best!

I had a 4th degree tear with Isabella and may be pregnant again (test is questionable) so im terrified. After seeing a therapist after a traumatic labour i was told i was able to have a section if i wanted. A girl i work with told me she had a 4th degree tear with her first but had her second baby after a 4 hour labour with no tears or grazes, not even any pain relief. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->