5.5 month old suddenly not taking bottle

MrsC10

Mummy
Reaction score
I never had this problem with my daughter so I’m at a loss. The past couple of weeks my LO hasn’t been taking anywhere near as much milk as he used to.
He would normally take 7-8oz and now he’s taking half that, sometimes taking less than that. If I offer the bottle after that he either just holds it in his mouth or screams at me until I sit him up. Anyone else had this?

I’m wondering if the teat flow from his bottle is too fast and he’s gulping his milk down causing him pain?

I didn't encounter that with my son, so i don't have any first hand experience/advice. But I think it certainly couldn't hurt to change the teat size to see if it helps or not. If nothing else, you could rule it out.

Also, if he's simply not hungry as much right now, maybe you could extend the time between feeds?

If he's suffering pain, we were taught to give a few sips of cooled down fennel tea to our son before giving him his bottle to ease digestion. It really helped.

I think we've figured it out.....teething! Didn't have any teething worries with my daughter so this is new to us. We seem to have it under control.....for now x

I think we've figured it out.....teething! Didn't have any teething worries with my daughter so this is new to us. We seem to have it under control.....for now x

Heh. That was a totally different answer. :) Glad you figured it out.

The teat size has made a big difference too. He's a lot more settled when taking a bottle now and he's gradually increasing the amount he's taking.
I took him to get weighed as my biggest worry was that he wasn't putting on weight or was losing weight. He's sticking to what he should. Now I know that, I'm quite happy.....and he seems to be too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->