5.5 years when starting school.

eddjanuary10

Reaction score
Hi ladies I haven't posted about Ihsan for a long while, he's doing well and will be starting school in August at just over 5.5 years. The reason he never started last year is that we were living in Australia for a while and had we still been there he would of started school in February when the academic year begins in Oz and he would of just turned 5. We are back in the UK now for the time being and so he will start in August at 5.5 years and I'm wondering if anyone else has a child or will have a child that's started at this age. He is extremely sociable and change does not concern him, he currently goes to an outdoor nursery 2 full days per week and enjoys the outdoor learning experience he is still pretty new there but I'm told he is doing really well both socially and academically. He is very sporty and confident and more than ready for school now. I look at some of the other kids in his nursery who will be starting school this year and they look so babyish next to him (like he was himself at 4 I couldn't imagine him starting last year!) Ihsan has grown really tall recently and has matured a fair bit in many ways in the last year I'm just hoping there are going to be kids in his school class that are older than 5 and like him that he can relate to. Thanks for your experiences in advance.

my daughter will be 5.5 she has a january birth . she could have gone last year but she just was not ready . I feel like she is alot more ready now. She is very petite and just looks like one of the 4 year olds though so I know she is not going to stand out. the thing is regardless of age kids come in all shapes and sizes and when you get a bunch of 4-5 year olds together they will still play he probably wont gravitate specifically towards other 5 year olds. I think at this age they really dont care. I have seen kids with much bigger age gaps having a great time. try not to worry as im sure ours are not going to be the only older ones x

My dd is at the other end of the spectrum. She will be 4.5 and some of the children at her nursery look waaay older than her! Her keyworker assured me she is more than ready, so Im not worried, but it is strange to think there will be kuds a whole year older! (at least two boys at her nursery were deferred last year)
Im sure there will be kids who are also 5.5 or close, there have to be a few!

My LO is in early pre-school, but she won't start Kindergarten till she is almost 6yrs. She'll miss the Sept Birthday cut-off by one month! But, I was the same- on the older side through school (being a Dec bday). Our oldest was always on the younger side- she'll be out of school and turn 18 the week before she walks at her graduation in June! oh wow- that's soon! lol.

Personally- I liked being on the older side during school- and I'm glad LO will be too. Obviously it's not a huge deal, but it's nice that she'll be going on 6 when she starts full time (as kindergarten here will be full days starting this year).

I have friends who's kids weren't in any scructured school till Kindergarten- and even when there was a bit of adjustment time, it wasn't long and they are all doing very well ;) No worries hun! Sounds like your kiddo will do great!!!

My first child was 3 weeks off her 5th birthday when she started. (September start, September baby)
My second was 2 weeks past his 4th birthday when he started. (September start, August baby)
My third was the same as my first as his birthday is the day before hers.

And my fourth WILL be similar to be second as he's a July birthday.

So mine really do fall on either side of the divide. I found my second struggles the most in school, by far, being the youngest. I would think your child will have minimal problems being one of the eldest. They seem to catch on the quickest. It's the younger ones that have problems generally.

Thank you all for your replies. I'm sure he'll be fine and I'm worrying for nothing. I feel he's ready and never felt that way last year I would of worried about him at school then so I guess it worked out well that we spent some time in Australia and he's having to start this year instead. Alice thanks for sharing your experiences from both sides x

my son will be almost 6 when he starts primary. hes a December birthday and we deffered for many reason he will be 5 years 8 months when he starts in August.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->