5 week old baby having 6-7oz feeds ... is this too much?

nicksi27

Reaction score
Hi ladies
Charlie is now on 6oz every 3-4 1/2 hrs and sometimes sleeps up to a max of 6hours through the night. He has a bottle about 7pm but after this feed he is really naggy until his next feed and seems to be hungry so i made him another ounce tonight and he gulped it. Ia 7oz too much for 5 weeks? He was 7lb11 born and im guessing he is over 10lb now hes growing loads and has gone up a clothing and nappy size :)

I wonder if i should change his milk if its not filling him? I asked my doctor and he said to try hungry baby milk but ive read this causes constipation?

i wouldnt try the hungry baby milk, all LO's are different and if he wasn't hungry he would spit it out and / or vomit :flower: Jonathan ate massive amounts until he was 12 weeks, now his eating has really slowed down and i basically have to fight him to get enough milk in him every day! i put that down to teething

Most babies that age will be eating every 2 hours so if he's eating nearly 4 hours thats prob why he likes bigger amounts.
My LO was eating 3oz every 2 hours, therefore if yours likes 6/7oz every 3.5/4 hours that's roughly the same amount just spread out differently. If he's not being sick after every feed I'd stick with what your doing Hun. I wouldn't advise hungry milk because he's not eating that often, and simply because changing milks is a big thing for there bellys and I don't think it would make any difference to his eating.

James used to take 3-4ozs every 3 hours, then at 4 weeks he hit a kind of growth spurt and was taking between 4 6ozs every 3 hours for about two weeks. Now at 7 weeks he settled down and takes 3-5ozs every 3hrs like clockwork except when he sleeps longer at night at takes 6ozs. Like pps have said, if he's feeding regularly and isn't being sick stay with it xx

Thomas takes 4-5oz every 3-4 hours and his weight gain is above the line thingy... I think each baby is different. I would try hungry baby milk and see how you get on. If your concerned that he is eating too much then speak to your health visitor or GP and see what they say x

my little girl is 4weeks+2 and has been drinking 7oz every 3-4 hours for atleast a week now, I thought it was a lot but my hv seems to think its ok aslong as she is not being sick afterwards which she is not, sometime it seems like she wants more, but surely a 4 week year old baby shouldn't be on 8oz, she also drains her bottle everytime after 7oz and they say to up it..?

my little girl is 4weeks+2 and has been drinking 7oz every 3-4 hours for atleast a week now, I thought it was a lot but my hv seems to think its ok aslong as she is not being sick afterwards which she is not, sometime it seems like she wants more, but surely a 4 week year old baby shouldn't be on 8oz, she also drains her bottle everytime after 7oz and they say to up it..?

hi :) charlie is now 6 weeks and on 7oz every 3-4 hrs usually but sometimes wants another feed after 2.5 hrs. My hv said to up it if needed and he will stop feeding when hes full. Maybe you could try feeding her smaller amounts but more often but to be honest i like the 3-4 hr routine. If shes keeping all her milk down i would carry on doing what youre doing. Our babys just love their milk!

My hv told me that if you do their weight time 2.5 (so if your LO is now about 10oz thats about 25 ounces) then thats around the figure you should be looking at per day. Although as other have said every baby is different and that figure is just an average. I would say as long as your LO isnt being sick afterwards, and doesnt still seem hungry once He's had the whole bottle then it seems fine, I dont think you'd need the hungry baby milk. Maybe if he still seems hungry afterwards or if he is wanting a feed again only an hour or so after being fed then I might be tempted to try it. But with LO only being 5 weeks I might not want to change the feed unless I thought it was really necessary coz it can cause digestive problems as the bowels are still maturing.

Move your feeds closer together and see how he responds. Babies at that stage can (and should) eat every 1-3 hours. Don't switch to hungry baby milk. It's terrible stuff filled with things that just make your baby feel full but aren't of nutritional value (meaning he'll eat less often, but may not get all the vitamins and minerals he needs). If a baby is hungry, it's because he needs nutrition, not to feel full with lots of synthetic junk, so feed him. That's probably a lot to feed at one go, but if he isn't spitting it up, then it probably isn't bothering him and he probably needs it. To give you an idea though, my daughter is 4.5 months and weighs 13 lbs and some and has 6 bottles of 6 oz a day (roughly every 3-4 hours with a longer stretch at night). So it seems like a lot to me, but some babies are just hungrier than others and there's nothing bad (or that needs to be 'fixed') about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->