5+ year age gap?

marycotter567

Reaction score
My son turned 4 a few months ago and I am having trouble getting pregnant with #2. We started sorta trying (NTNP) about a year ago and have really kicked it into gear recently. I am feeling a bit down about the age gap because by the time I get pregnant and the baby comes, my son will be at least 5 years old... I worry they won't relate, play together, etc. I am kicking myself for not starting TTC sooner but DS was such a handful we only started when he already turned 3... We didnt even have to try for him so I never imagined it would take such a long time...

My son and daughter are 6.5 yrs apart and although it feels like a huge gap so far they play and get along well (he is 7, she is 15 months). He was so excited to meet her when she was born and he loved hearing her heart beat throughout the pregnancy too.

I think it will be fine. I mean I can understand wanting to have kids closer together, but since he's older, he'll actually be able to understand that he's having a little sibling.

Here's an article I pinned about this topic recently, I thought you might find it helpful!
https://www.thealphaparent.com/2012/07/what-no-one-tells-you-about-child.html?m=1

I am worried about the same thing! My son will probably be 4 before we get pregnant. And maybe even 5 before the baby is here. My daughter and son are 2 yes 2 m apart and best friends, biggest enemies and play amazing! Even decided recently they want to share a room.
The third I am afraid off will be literally the fifth wheel!
I really don't want 4 kids! But I am afraid raising one alone will be horrible for him since his siblings have such a strong bond!

We're starting TTC now and our daughter will be a least 4yrs old. It certainly wasn't by choice for me but have to make the best of it. Hoping you get your bfp soon x

There's an 8 year age gap between my two and my oldest is absolutely fab with his little sister. He helps me and also understands when baby is needing my attention more than him. He will quite happily play with her for hours and giggles at the funny faces she pulls :) we didn't intend such a big age gap but we ttc for 18 months and it never happened then we gave up and decided to take a break ttc.....next thing a surprise bfp!! Good luck hope you get your bfp soon xx

I'm having the same worries, I started right before DS 3rd birthday and this is our 5th cycle and nothing, I definitely didn't think it'd take any time but even if I get pregnant now they're will be a 4 year gap which really worried me.

I've read a lot online about it and it gave me peace, firstly I can't change that now, secondly I couldn't have handled pregnancy earlier cause my son wasn't the easiest and still isn't,

Thirdly everything I've read about bigger gaps is great. You get to enjoy having a baby all over again, one is at school and already potty trained and can take care of himself somewhat and even help with the baby. Also they'll fight less cause big brother will understand.

Everything happens for a reason, also, you won't get that empty nest feeling when the first goes off to college!

I personally have a full 4 years between my sister and I - we are EXTREMELY close and this has been the case since she could crawl.

My son is 8. We started ttc#2 4 years ago and still haven't gotten a bfp yet. We are going to try for 3 more years, if it hasn't happened by then, we give up.

I have 12 years between my oldest and twins and they played well together. In fact my oldest who is 21 now and my twins are 9 were playing video games together. They also play catch and tag. My second son is almost 10 years older than the twins and he will sometimes play with them and my youngest who is 6. My second is autistic and would rather use the computer or listen to music then play. If I'm pregnant this baby is due the day before my youngest son turns 7 and I have no doubts that they will play well together.

My son will be 14 in just a couple weeks and we've only been trying for half a cycle. So in the very least there will be a 14 year age gap and that's assuming I get pregnant right away. My husband was 18 before he got a sibling so I think my mother in law has us all beat. Don't worry about the age gap.. Big or small there are many positives.

I have 12 years between my oldest and twins and they played well together. In fact my oldest who is 21 now and my twins are 9 were playing video games together. They also play catch and tag. My second son is almost 10 years older than the twins and he will sometimes play with them and my youngest who is 6. My second is autistic and would rather use the computer or listen to music then play. If I'm pregnant this baby is due the day before my youngest son turns 7 and I have no doubts that they will play well together.

My 8 year old is Autistic as well. He is low functioning and was diagnosed at 3 1/2. How well does your autistic child get along with the other siblings? We are dealing with behavioral issues with my son right now, I'm hoping that when we conceive he won't act out too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->