5 year old sent bill for birthday no-show

Jes.shortcake

Reaction score
https://m.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-30876360

Anyone read this story?

Yes I did. Imo the parents of the boy who was sent the invoice were pretty rude to confirm they were coming and then not turn up. It would have annoyed the hell out of me. However the mum of the birthday child shouldn't have sent the invoice, now she is the rude one and she has created an uncomfortable situation for her child. She should just have made a mental note not to invite this kid to next years party.

Agree the "no show" parents were the ones being rude initially but the party mum has gone too far. I feel a bit sorry for her as now she looks like a fool in front of the whole country for her over reaction to something she did have a right to be p**sed off at. She should've just ignored it or sent a little note if she really needed to get it off her chest. Things aren't always what they seem though, maybe she's got her reasons for reacting badly.

Taking the invoice to the press isn't any more mature either - now they all have made themselves look a bit the fool and the poor kids are going to be embarrassed at best or maybe left out of future parties.

I think handing the invoice is way too far. However I despise people who accept invitations and then don't show. There's no excuse for it nowadays.

Both sets of parents have been rude and childish IMO. Why is this news... ?

I hate when people RSVP and dont show. It is rude..not to mention people who don't RSVP. Only a few people RSVP'd to my LO's 1st birthday and I had to stalk out everyone to see if they were coming because nobody was letting me know either way. It's annoying.

But an invoice? I would of been more upset that she gave it to the teacher to put in my kids bag instead of being a grown woman and letting me know

Lord knows why it's news! Yes the parents should have made more effort to let them know their child was not turning up. Not turning up to any event when previously confirmed OK without proper notice/contact is extremely rude no matter what. However, it does really annoy me when people get pissed off with a person/situation and instead of addressing it maturely by talking to the person in question and trying to resolve the situation, instead they resort to something petty to get their way. It's ssilly and immature and happens quite often. If it has pissed you off that much, talk to the person in question. Like an adult. I highly doubt they wohld actively teach their children to behave the same.
Agree with pp as well that it's just as silly taking it to the press

I was more angered by the parents who agreed send their son and then on the day ASKED HIM IF HE'D RATHER GO ELSEWHERE? What no! Thats rude! As for not being able to contact them to say actually we can't go, why not ring the centre and inform them? Yeah it was stupid to invoice them but i can wrap my head around the frustration that led them there!

I do think it was rude of the parents to RSVP, then not show. Its expensive planning parties especially outings and I would've been miffed if that had been me.

However, I wouldn't have sent an invoice. :shrug: Chances are, I would've spoken to the other parents, first of all to see if the child not coming was sick, there was an emergency etc (because hey, those things happen!) and if it turned out that there was an emergency, I probably would've left it alone tbh.

If it was like in this situation where they decided to send the boy elsewhere, I still don't know that I would've asked for money tbh. I probably would've chalked that up to a learning lesson, and then in future invitations for birthdays where I've paid for a certain amount of kids to be there, that if you don't show after confirming yes then chances are I'll need reimbursement.

But even that leaves a sour taste in my mouth if I'm honest. Birthday parties (especially for children!) are supposed to be fun. Also, if I'm blunt and honest I absolutely never do anything for my kiddo's birthday that requires a payment for each child. We hired a "Mad Scientist" for Claire's birthday this year, the range was "under 15 kids". So if one kid showed or 15 showed, I still paid the same rate. Just saves the stress and aggravation for me. :flower:

Ugh, so many opportunities for adults to act like reasonable human beings, and none of them taken!

The first parents should have done the decent thing and tried harder to give their apologies in advance.

The second parents should have done the decent thing and called to discuss instead of sending an invoice (hint: if you cannot bring yourself to discuss something face-to-face with someone, your complaint is probably petty).

And on receiving the invoice, the first parents should have rolled their eyes at the pettiness, and then done the decent thing and reimbursed the 15 bucks because they WERE out of line. Instead they made it into a pissing contest in the press. So I find myself on the side of the woman who sent the invoice, if there is a side to be taken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->