5 yr boy : bed wetting

paigeypoo

Reaction score
my son is 5 years old and still needs to wear a diaper so he doesnt soak his bed at night. im am growing more and more concerned about it as my barely 4 year old daughter is doing fabulous.
ive used the same parenting style with both kids and have never forced the toilett thing, for both it came very naturaly...during the day.
my son started on the potty at 2years...i am not sure what things i can do to encourage him to not wet the bed at night.
i have tried just letting him go with it in underwear but washing his blankets every day seems rediculous. we tried bed mats and that didnt work. ive tried waking him in the night to pee, he sometimes goes but then still wakes up wet. ive tried not letting him have a drink past 7pm but that doesnt work. the body has to pee when it has to pee...im kind of at the end of my wits with it.
I see my son gets sad when he realizes that his baby sister is able to stay dry and he is not. she also gets up about 3 times a night to pee...where he sleeps right through.
how can i help him learn to go pee at night?
is this normal or should i be worried??
his biological father had bed wetting issues into his 20's...
is this genetic?
i dont want my son to be left out of sleep overs cause he wets the bed...

help!!

I don't have any advice but my son who is nearly 7 has a couple of classmates that still wear nappies or those pjyama pants at night. It is probably more common than you think :)

Just ignore it, let m wear pyjama pants and he will more than likely grow out of it

My son did at 5, my daughter was 7

It's not something you can actively teach them as it has to come from subconscious

I personally went through this as a kid... I wet the bed till I was maybe 7yrs old? It wasn't because I wasn't ready, it was because I was physically unable to hold my pee at a certain point (due to a falty reflux valve) and I was a heavy sleeper so the "feeling" of needing to pee didn't wake me in time. It was only after loads of tests and finally an u/s I believe they discovered the real issue. This was after years of my Mom doing everthing she could to keep it from being a "big issue" or something that really bothered me. And this was well before the days of all these great pull ups. In the end, I had a procedure to fix the problem, and wham, no more bed wetting :)

TBH- I would at least recommend having him checked out JUST to rule any physical issues out. I'm not saying that is the issue- but it's a possibility, you just need to do what you feel is best. Your mom, so trust your gut hun- if you feel something else is going on- then It certainly can't hurt and after going through it myself, I really wish they'd known earlier. BUT- some docs are hesitant to do any tests till the kid is closer to 6-7yrs of age- so not sure how easy it would be to get him checked. I guess it depends on the doctor? It's not like it's something that has haunted me- and I don't feel scared from going through it (even though I have very vivid memories of wetting my sleeping bag at a slumber parrty once- um, bit embarrassing). But with pull ups, there should be no issue of that- as he can use it and no one would be wiser.

That's my best advise. Best of luck hun!

My ds1 is exactly the same, my dh was also a bed wetter until the age of 8 and it can be genetic, some children take longer to establish the ability to wake from sleep when needing to urinate than others. We are not making a big deal of it but do try to encourage his to try to stay dry.
It can be really frustrating but I'm hoping that he will grow out if it soon (he's 6 in 2 1/2 weeks) if not then we will bring him to our gp (as a pp said many docs don't do anything until age 6-7)
Good luck and I hope they both grow out of it soon :hugs:

My 5yo son is the same. He wears a nappy at night and i won't consider him not having it at the moment. I don't bother will pull-ups as i don't really see the difference.

At the moment i don't see it as too much of an issue as some children are just later than others. I think that it's normally looked into around 7yo.

thanx everyone, you have all made me feel much better about it. its nice to see that we are not alone. im hoping with the right encouragment he will figure it out.

My nearly 5 year old is still in a nappy at night. Staying dry at night is controlled by hormone levels and often it takes boys a lot longer to reach the right level of hormones. It's very common and doctors won't look into it until 7 years old. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->