5 yr old wont play on his own???????????????

Tigger Momma

Reaction score
OK.......I have a stepson who WILL not play on his own longer than like 2 minutes. Here is a picture of his day yesterday . From 7am till 11am he was being babysat and they have boys that he loves to play with. then when my husband picked him up he brought the boys back with him and they were at our house until 5pm. I got home at 610, he was outside with a kid riding bikes and asked if I could take him swimming. I go inside for 10minutes heat up dinner and get him dressed to go to the pool. He swims with a little kid at the pool for about 30-45 minutes...........We get in the house, he has his bath and then comes into the room to watch Dora till 7-730. Then he complains about needing a game to play because he's bored. Im like " oh my gosh youve been busy all day with little break in between". So I send him to go play a game in his room as I have to wake up super early and its not his bedtime yet (my husband is still up to supervise him). This is soo annoying because no matter how busy he is if he has more than a 5-10 break in between he's bugging us. I can't go non stop. On a normal day he's at school till 330 and its Pre K so there is alot of playing involved and tons of kids. He comes home and plays till 430 with neighbor. We practice learning a few words for a few minutes and then he eats dinner and after all that he's bored and pouting if hes not playing with anyone. Im like you cant be playing with someone ALL day long. Ive even tried getting him to clean his room and he comes in before he finishes. I just dont get it, when I was his age and the only child in the house, I was given toys and someone played with me every now and then but other than that I had to entertain myself with my toys and I didnt mind playing with myself. anyone experience this?????????????

My daughter is the same! She is very well behaved but her only fault is that she constantly has to be entertained! If i go to the bathroom to brush my teeth she follows me and asks me to play hannah montana lol, she has me playing barbies and dress up all day long. I'm a nursery nurse so after doing that with 20 kids it's the last thing i want to do when i get home lol.

Difficult one, could he be being over stimulated? and honestly doesnt know how to play by himself.
The example you gave for one day involves masses of stimulus, i know my boy is younger but he would be exausted having a day like that and would be unable to calm down and play on his own.
Ewan is on his own most of the time when not at playgroup, and loves playing with other kids, but also has his own wind down time.
dont think this was any help.. just rambling my own thoughts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->