5w3d pregnant Ultrasound - Gestational sac empty. No yolk sac at all

Misticamente

Reaction score
Hello there, I'm very worried.

Today I had an early ultrasound after an IVF treatment. I know for sure I'm 5 weeks and 3 days pregnant because I know the day my embryos were transferred, so there's no doubt on how pregnant I am.

However, today we could only see a 6 mm gestational sac. No yolk sac o (obviously not so early) embryo. I didn't expect to see the baby, neither the heartbeat but I did expect to see the yolk sac and a much bigger gestational sac.

I'm so afraid of having an anembryonic pregnancy (Blighted Ovum). Specially because the sac looks too small for my time and we could see nothing in it.

I have to do another ultrasound in a week to confirm if the pregnancy continues.

Has anybody gone through the same? How did it end? Do I have to prepare myself for the worst? I would appreciate an honest feedback with your real experience.

Thank you!

I think it's common to not see much until about 6 weeks xx

In my dd's pregnancy all we saw was an empty gestational sac at 6+4 and she's 7 months old now. It's normal not to see anything in week 5, that's why most clinics won't scan before 6 weeks, try not to worry :)

I'm sorry you're dealing with this uncertainty and stress. :(

I've been doing a lot of reading about this myself. I think at your stage it is VERY common not to see anything other than a gestational sac. I went in for an ultrasound a couple of days ago thinking that I was at 6w0d (at the most) and the ultrasound tech was dubious about even confirming a gestational sac at that stage (we were trying to rule out an ectopic pregnancy). We did see a gestational sac and it measured 5w6d, which made sense based on when I know I conceived. She didn't seem concerned at all about not seeing a yolk or fetal pole. It freaked me out a bit, because you see so many stories about people seeing everything right at 6 weeks... but it really does vary so much from pregnancy to pregnancy. In your case, I would definitely hold off panicking for a few more weeks. 5w3d is just so early. :hugs:

Empty sac until 6+1 with dd and we were thinking ectopic since I'd had one previously. I was being scanned every 2 days and two days later we saw the everything including the heartbeat. I think you should give the baby the 6th week to show themselves before you worry too much. Some of them are just slow starters :)

It sounds like it's just super early! I had a scan around 5 weeks and there wasn't much in there. I went in for my first official scan (the 5 weeks one was due to some severe cramping I had) on Monday and I was just shy of 7 weeks. We saw baby and everything right where things were supposed to be! Good luck, mama, I hope everything turns out ok for you!

I'd also say it's acceptably too early to see anything just yet.

I had an anembryonic pregnancy in December but my scan was at 6 and a half weeks. At the time my sac was still growing and hcg still rising etc but obviously ha baby never grew.

I think at ur scan next week there is a good chance of seeing a beautiful little bub in there xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->