• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

5YO still doesn't recognise need for toilet and soils herself

Lara310809

Mum of 3 girls
Reaction score
My daughter has been toilet trained for two years but she still had trouble recognising that she needs the toilet until right at the last minute. She will even dance like she's desperate for a pee but not realise she's even doing it, or that she needs to go. If I ask her, she will tell me she doesn't need to, and forcibly argue if I tell her to go and sit on the toilet.

For a while I've been told that it just takes some kids longer than others, but it's been two years now and she is wetting her pants numerous times each week because she can't get to the toilet in time.

Neither does she recognise when her underwear is wet (not sodden but enough to cause a wet mark), so she's sitting in it for hours sometimes, an it's causing her to get sore and have infections.

Is there a way I can help her? She's not afraid of the toilet, as when she goes she's more than happy to be there. I've tried putting her on the toilet at regular intervals but sometimes she doesn't go for five hours and sometimes she goes twice in ten minutes! I also have two other children so finding the one on one time with her is challenging

Have you taken her to see a doctor about it ? Always a good place to start.
My daughter has continence difficulties ( hers is because she is autistic) and is under a continence service which has been very helpful

Occasional daytime accidents are still normal at this age. Kids can get caught up with what they're doing and just wait too long. Since it seems to be happening more than occasionally though, you probably should have her checked for medical issues like constipation or UTI.

I'd probably make an appointment to discuss with her pediatrician. That seems pretty often during the day for her age. Could be a weak bladder issue, UTI, etc but they'd need to run some tests to see if there is an underlying reason for it. Her not noticing the need to go until the last minute seems like a weak bladder issue to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->