6 UK soldiers missing in Afghanistan. (maybe upsetting)

miaplus2

mummy of 2, soon 3
Reaction score
https://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16183891

I'm now wishing i never checked the news, its left me feeling numb tbh today is pretty hard as it is. 2 years ago today i close family friend lost his life in afghanistan.

The pain and hurt these poor mens families must be feeling :cry:.

please spare a thought and prayer for those suffering the heavy price of war :cry:

sorry just needed to share x

I hope the thoughts and prayers extend to the millions of innocent civilians who are now dead too.

I understand that completely its a war that should never of been fought to much blood shed on both sides, i don't want to aruge the ins and outs of it. These men are missing and i prey their family find peace, the peace my family and friends are yet to find 2 years on, really not looking to debate a senseless war.

They have been named all six were killed, its just so awful. Five of them were between the ages of 19 and 21 thats no age to die :( the oldest just 33 years old. Big respect to our forces. Rest in peace young men xxxxxxxxx

I understand that completely its a war that should never of been fought to much blood shed on both sides, i don't want to aruge the ins and outs of it. These men are missing and i prey their family find peace, the peace my family and friends are yet to find 2 years on, really not looking to debate a senseless war.

Surely though, unless we do debate the fact that this is a senseless war then the killing on both sides will go on :nope:

It's not enough to express sorrow at needless deaths :hugs: - we also need to stand up and say 'enough', because until we do this won't stop.

I am becoming increasingly disturbed by the current trend of glorifying our forces - yes they do the job that our Gov't tell them to do and they do it well, but by glorifying them we are also glorifying war and, most importantly, allowing ourselves to be distracted from the fact that they should not be there at all ... which isn't really helping either them, the civilians in Afghanistan and Iraq, or the families of either.

I'm sorry ... I know it isn't a popular view and I don't often express it on here for fear of causing offence - but the bottom line is that our forces are made up of enlisted men (ie not conscripted against their will as men were in the WWs). They chose that job and all the risks that are inherent with it ... unlike the civilians who are also dying :(

Surely though, unless we do debate the fact that this is a senseless war then the killing on both sides will go on :nope:

It's not enough to express sorrow at needless deaths :hugs: - we also need to stand up and say 'enough', because until we do this won't stop.

I am becoming increasingly disturbed by the current trend of glorifying our forces - yes they do the job that our Gov't tell them to do and they do it well, but by glorifying them we are also glorifying war and, most importantly, allowing ourselves to be distracted from the fact that they should not be there at all ... which isn't really helping either them, the civilians in Afghanistan and Iraq, or the families of either.

I'm sorry ... I know it isn't a popular view and I don't often express it on here for fear of causing offence - but the bottom line is that our forces are made up of enlisted men (ie not conscripted against their will as men were in the WWs). They chose that job and all the risks that are inherent with it ... unlike the civilians who are also dying :(

The were still young boys who will never see home again, these men have still given there lives, they still deserve respect. I can't stand people who say "They chose that job and all the risks that are inherent with it" So just because they knew the risks they deserve no respect? The government is wrong to keep this senseless war going but its the boys who enlisted paying the price they are injured and killed, and then slagged of by people sat at home who have no idea, My brother joined up before the war started and was injured in afghan almost died, he had to go he had no choice these boy I'm pretty sure did not enlist to die, they have no choice on what wars they do and don't fight, pick your fight with the rule makers not the soldiers who are losing their lives. I have no problem debating the war at all, but i made this post in respect of 6 men who lost their lives on the 6th and in respect of the one who already had as i personally know the pain that causes, I proudly support the British forces and agree they all deserve great respect.

Huge respect to those 6 men and every soldier in the army.
My grandfathers brother fought in the war he had no choice and lost his life at the tender age of 24 my grandfather is now 87 and it saddens me that his brother missed out on so many years of his life he never experience having children, marriage, so many things I have the utmost respect for our soliders!!
R.I.P xxx

Tatties' Mum, I very much agree.

Miaplus2, no-one here is slagging off anyone or disrespecting them but the questions do need to be asked about what is going on and how on earth we will stop this. When you sign up you do know that losing your life is a possibility. It is terribly sad but there have been many lives lost on both sides, many many of them innocent bystanders.

Tatties' Mum, I very much agree.

Miaplus2, no-one here is slagging off anyone or disrespecting them but the questions do need to be asked about what is going on and how on earth we will stop this. When you sign up you do know that losing your life is a possibility. It is terribly sad but there have been many lives lost on both sides, many many of them innocent bystanders.

I have said i am very much happy to debate this, else where but this post was for people who like me were deeply affected by these deaths we may not all agree but this isn't a debate really i don't disagree with either of you, more then most i want this war to be over, better yet never started, but it has and the pain and suffering is ofc on both sides, i don't want to lessen that at all but as my first post said it was all the more upsetting being on the anniversary of the day my friend lost his life.

I am sorry for your loss but this isn't a tribute page but the debate section. I have seen this same story across various sections on this forum but have refrained from commenting for fear of upsetting someone. It is a huge double standard that the death of civilians is considered collateral and only ever mentioned when the number is huge. I have little sympathy for those who willingly enter a sovereign land with the intention to kill or cause harm.

Its good to see these young boys are so highly regarded... lol, owell god bless their souls

Wow, my heart goes out to the families of the soldiers, and the soldiers themselves.

My brother-in-law was an infantryman in the US Army, deployed for 15 months and nearly died. He saw his daughter when she was born, was forced to deploy, then saw her when she was 9 months old. It was heartbreaking.

My husband is active duty air force as well, so this really hits home to me.

Well, I hope those more than happy to give out their opinion on this when six young men have just lost their lives and their families are grieving for them are greatful to them and the men like them that do a job that enable them to be able to give their opinions freely and without repercussions.

Sadly, women in Afghanistan do not have the same good fortune, where they can be and are still stoned for their 'crimes' or even percieved crimes such as looking at another man or where they frequently choose to burn themselves alive because that is preferable to staying with a husband that abuses them so severely. Plenty of the Afghan people agree with our forces being there and support them unreservedly, they are, in the main, there to help them. They are not just paid killers, as some people think, they are helping to build wells, roads, schools, communities.

Yes, our soldiers know when they sign up (nowadays) that they probably face going to Afghanistan and that may involve the loss of their life or serious injury. Lucky for us really that some of our citizens are such patriots that they are prepared to risk their lives, be away from their families, miss the births and birthdays of their children, anniversaries etc for what is reality is a piss poor wage in return for all of that, so that wqe can have our freedoms. The other option would be conscription and I'm sure none of us want to see our sons forced to join the armed forces at 16?

My Maternal Grandfather was an enlisted, career Air Force NCO who worked in bomb disposal both during and after WW2.

My Maternal Grandmother was a suffragette.

Both of them spent time in Germany after WW2 helping to re-build a country and civilians brought to their knees by a war that took their loved ones, homes, livelihoods and self respect.

I will carry the lessons that they taught me for my entire life ... and amongst those were that we, as a society, should question the validity of any war, not allow ourselves to be blinded or silenced by nationalism or sentimentality and never to forget the innocents.

Wars have consequences way beyond the actual initial conflict ... if the people of this Country had stood up and opposed WW1 (a pointless war if ever there was one), rather than allowing themselves to be carried away on a tidal wave of Jingoism, then not only would 65 Million lives have not been lost then but WW2 would never have happened (saving another 48 million lives) ..... it was only as a result of German humiliation and financial penalties/problems post 1918 that Hitler ever rose to power :nope:

Questioning the validity of war does not mean you cannot show respect and compassion when men, merely more than boys have died and their wives, children, parents and extended family are grieving.

I am continually disgusted by the way people in this country treat our troops, it really is appalling. :nope:

Absolutely not ... but equally, supporting the armed forces does not mean that we have to unquestioningly support any war that they are involved in, or that we should show a lack of respect and compassion for the civilian men, women and children who have lost their lives and the wives, husbands, children and extended families who are grieving for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->