6 week old newborn, loss of appetite?

rosegarden620

Reaction score
Was hoping someone could shed some light or a similar experience on what I am going through today.

My daughter is EBF and has never had a problem latching from day one. My milk supply has no major issues except for an overactive let down that causes my little one some marked fussiness at the breast with gulping and sputtering. At 3/4 weeks we introduced a pacifier and a bottle. The bottle needed some fine tuning but at after we changed the nipple to NUK (the same as the paci) she took it. The pacifier is our go too when nothing else seems to sooth her sucking need. Weight gain is good as of last visit with a 39% increase since birth in a span of 4 weeks, with 6-9 (sometimes more) very wet/dirty diapers a day (today included).

Today was a odd day for us. We live in Florida and the heat in central florida (where we live) is really starting to rise. Today, a very hot day, was the day that our central AC was out of order. MY LO does not do well in the heat and has a terrible case of prickly heat and thats with her majority in AC. So we kept her, as we usually do, in a diaper. We spent the majority of our day on the back porch with a space fan on us, and a trip to a very cool grocery store.

She nurses on average every 2-2.5 hours for an average of 8-10 minutes, one breast (she's a very aggressive eater) throughout the day. She's never really taken both breasts, except for yesterday where her average eating time was 20 minutes 12-15 on one and the remainder on the other for the whole day. The most she's ever eaten, to me. I pawned it off to her 6 week growth spurt. She finally fell asleep yesterday at 1030pm and staid asleep until 1am and then it was ever 1.5-2 hours to nurse, but right back to bed, until 7 am where she almost always has an extended nap of 2-2.45 hours.

Today is the total opposite. Her eating times averaged 5-7 minutes on ONE breast and before her bedtime she didn't even want to nurse. SO, today, from 7am she nursed a total of 9-10x for short (shorter than usual periods). Tonight, before bed, I was forcing her to the point where she was in hysterics! I finally stopped trying to get a good feed in and popped the pacifier in her mouth which she took with a vengeance!

Normally, the pacifier isn't so "important", she'll suckle on it for a few minutes and then whether asleep or awake she will spit it out and stay chill/quiet. Today was so hot, I expected her to want to nurse more frequently! But actually the opposite. She wanted to sleep all day (it felt like) with moments of wakefulness. So I wonder if the heat is an aspect to this all?

I guess I am worried. What gives with the decreased appetite? No fever, no uncontrollable crying...unless she's nursing and then when she's done she DONE, she's so done that she screaming again...what gives? I just nursed her now (in between this post) and she nursed for almost 10 minutes, and then was VERY DONE. Like, "GET THAT THING AWAY FROM ME" done...? Once again, I popped that paci back in and she took it with a vengeance...

I had DH try my breast milk (which he has before) bc I thought maybe something I ate made the taste of it, off. He said it was definitely bitter... so I tried it then, and sure enough it starts sweet and has a bitter aftertaste. DH says, not at all like last time....

Any ideas?? :shrug:

Thanks for checking in girls.
Things are going pretty similar. She's nursing for 5-8 minutes on average of every 2-2.5 hrs at at time and I am guessing this is just her new norm. Nothing is out of the ordinary in terms of diapers. Her sleep stretch at night has been longer at about 4-5 hours and she seems otherwise happy except for her witching hour which is now 7-11pm.

I am trying to get her schedule underway since I am starting to build my milk stash for when I go back to work on the 24th. I am only going to be working part time. So currently I am trying to figure out how and when to nurse to get that stash going, especially since she eats pretty frequently.

I've decided to sue her happiness and diapers as a guide to determine if something is off and so far, so good!

Sounds to me like things are looking good. For your stash - what I do is pump after my LO eats every other time or so. It may not be much the first few days but your body will catch on that you want it to make more and it will. If your like me, your body may really take to this and you may have to do an extra pump at night when your LO is asleep as you may get engorged and that will make your letdown even quicker and LO may not appreciate that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->