6 weeks not gaining weight

Kelskiii

Reaction score
My LO is 6weeks old on Thursday, her birth weight was 7.4lb, week1 6.10lb, week2 7.4lb, week3 7.5lb, week4 7.4lb, week5 7.8lb.

LO is only 4oz heavier than her birth weight. We have been to see a doctor last week under the advice of a health visitor & he did all checks & LO is fine. We have a 6week check up on Friday.

I have been advised to top up LO until weight starts increasing. I have always topped up with one bottle of formula a day & she is used to this & taking from a bottle. I am happy to do this until she gains weight but I'm going to pump milk every time I give formula then use the pump milk to take over some formula bottles. My only worry is I've worked so hard to get my milk where it is now I don't want my supply to decrease.

Has anyone had a baby with slow weight gain or has anyone got any advice? I am trying not to worry too much as LO is very alert & happy but it is worrying she should be much bigger now!

Has your baby been checked for posterior tongue tie by someone who really knows what they are looking for (which means NOT most HVs or GPs)? Does your baby have the right number of wet and pooey nappies? It sounds to me and I am not a doctor/HCPs just an experienced mum that there may be an underlying cause here that may be relatively simple to fix and top ups while there is nothing wrong with them when needed, they don't address the underlying cause. My eldest was very similar and it did turn out to be a severe lip tie and tongue tie, this was only realised years later when my second youngest had the same issues-though thankfully in my second youngest's case, it didn't affect weight gain at all xx

She has only been checked by HV for tongue tie, they said because she can stick her tongue right out it means she hasn't got tongue tie/?

LO generally has a wet nappy 6-8 times a day & poop ones every other day.

I'm at LOs 6 week check up on Friday I will mention it to the GP & i'm at a breastfeeding group on Thursday I will see if they will give me a referral to the hospital to see a consultant to check her tongue.

She is sucking & feeding constantly it just seems I never ever fill her :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"