6 yr old with ADHD??

JViti

*Autism Mommy*
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first time posting in this forum. I have a 6 yr old son, Anthony, and he has definitely had his share of medical issues. He has an asthma/allergist (for his asthma and antibiotic allergies), dermatologist (for his eczema), rheumatologist (for his transient synovitis in his knee/hip), Otolaryngologist (for tubes in his ears, and enlarged adeniods and tonsils), ophthamologist (for his amblyopia and strabismus), and physical therapist (for his muscle strains and coordination). He used to be in Early Intervention for his speech due to major delays-caused by an ear infection that lasted 6 months because we couldnt find an antibiotic that he wasnt allergic to, therefore he couldnt hear well until we finally got tubes put in. We were told when he was 2 that its very possible that he would be on the autism spectrum--on the Aspergers end. He is now 6 years old, no Autism diagnosis-thank goodness-but he is very...wild.

He is very klutzy, :wacko: , and he talks soooo much sooooo fast, and sometimes he has these bursts of energy that, he will just run in place and wave his arms around for a few minutes, then stop. I have a meeting with his teacher this week to talk about it and see how he is in school, but in your experience, does this sound like a child who has ADHD? Or is he just a 6 yr old boy? Its so hard in this age because boys are crazy lol but I worry about his going through what I went through. I have ADHD and his father has ADHD, so its in the family, but I also dont want him medicated unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. I think hes too young to get hooked on Adderall or Ritalin and I dont want to do that to him unless again ABSOLUTELY necessary. Does anyone have any children with ADHD? How did you know before the doctor diagnosed it?

I have no experience here- so I won't even attempt to say if I think that could be it or not. But I'm sure you'll get it sorted out- and I would agree to try different avenues before medication. Maybe even see a naturopathic doctor- or look into food allergies (as some allergies can affect behavior- especially in younger children)- I've also heard that there are diets some docs recommend for children with ADHD- as it can help them, even more so than meds. Might at least be worth asking about or doing some research.

Hope you get it all figured out soon. Sounds like your lil man has certainly weathered some rough roads- and with you and your OH having it, genetically, your LO will be more prone. Just like our LO got grass allergies because my hubby had it horrible as a child, and I developed them later in life- so that put our LO at higher risk.

Best of luck hun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"