6yo and Showering

mrscletus

Reaction score
Please help... my "baby" is 6 and refuses to take a shower.

I dont mind giving him a bath however my DH thinks its time to "stop enabling" him and make him take a shower.

Right now all i have to do is run the bath and he does everything else himself, washes his hair, body, dries off, gets dressed... EVERYTHING

So is there anything wrong with that?

DH thinks he should be taking showers now because our DD did at 6.

TIA, just need to know that i am not "babying" him.

95 times out of 100, my two have a bath. The only times they have showers is when we are on holiday/hotel breaks/camping. I don't see it as babying....my DH doesn't like showers and will always have a bath at home.

Joshua will happily have a shower when we are away. Jacob is usually under duress.

My dd is almost 8 and although we only have a shower she doesn't shower herself yet and if we had a bath I'd be more than happy for her to go ahead and have a bath instead. As long as she's getting clean!

My oh hates showers & would always choose a bath over a shower. I hate baths on the whole & would much rather have a shower. It's just personal preference.

Dd prefers a bath but will have a shower if necessary (eg on holiday, or if oh isn't around as I can't lift her out of the bath & she can't quite get out by herself).

I don't think it's babying your ds for him to have an independent bath & jut prefer baths over showers. Really doesn't matter IMO :shrug:

I can't understand why your do associates baths with babyness - I still have a bath about 75% of the time lol

My oh hates showers & would always choose a bath over a shower. I hate baths on the whole & would much rather have a shower. It's just personal preference.

Dd prefers a bath but will have a shower if necessary (eg on holiday, or if oh isn't around as I can't lift her out of the bath & she can't quite get out by herself).

I don't think it's babying your ds for him to have an independent bath & jut prefer baths over showers. Really doesn't matter IMO :shrug:

we are exactly the same we have a bath in the upstairs bathroom and a shower downstairs. I would say over the course of 6 months I perhaps use the bath a handful of times (and usually just to have a shower with the handheld without getting my hair wet) and my OH maybe use the shower once if that. Its entirely personal preference.

Personally I prefer the kids to have a bath I think there is less chance of slipping and less chance of a mess.

Frankly I have no idea why your OH thinks it babying him but its clearly his issue and not one for your son

My DD absolutely despises showers and to be honest I'm in no hurry to force them on her. She is 5.5 and still plays in the bath and enjoys it

I can't understand why your do associates baths with babyness - I still have a bath about 75% of the time lol

I agree. Your LO sounds very capable if they effectively bathe and dress themself. Why does it matter if thats in a bath as opposed to a shower :flower:

I think showers are better, but heck, I'm lucky if Violet bathes once a week. She doesn't usually like baths, so I don't force the issue too often. It sounds like your kid is functioning pretty independently and willingly cleaning himself, so it shouldn't matter that he has a preference for baths over showers.

Why is there an age limit on when baths should stop and showers be the only method from then on? That makes no sense. Just because your dd takes showers from that age doesn't make it a universal thing that everyone has to do from that age onward. I don't get your DH's logic here. I think if your son is bathing pretty much independently with cleaning himself, washing his hair, etc, then there is no problem. Why is he trying to fix something that's not broken? Tons of kids prefer baths so they can play for a while before or after scrubbing up.

Thanks ladies.. I think I really just needed that verification that there is nothing wrong with what he is doing. DH can just get over it.. Lol

I don't see how a bath makes someone a baby. I'm a baby then, and so are all my kids.

Nothing wrong with a bath! Mine usually shower for quickness, but dd1 is becoming more independent and when asked, she always chooses a bath. Dont see the difference tbh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->