6yr old son worried about dying

pj67

Reaction score
Hi. My 6 yr old son has been getting really upset, usually when he is in bed and says that he doesn't want to die. I have tried to comfort him and talk about it as best I can but am really upset for him and wonder if anyone else has experienced this?
Thanks

My SD used to freak out like this too- we just talked it through, I'd usually keep it simple, then change the subject to keep her mind off her fears. I do think it's a normal thing for kids to worry about- especially once they are a bit older and/or know someone who's passed. I remember have a long talk with my mom when I was about 7-8yrs old? She just told me that it's something way way way off in the future and to focus on today and life and something along those lines. At the time it didn't make my worries go away- but it helped. Just keep comforting and he'll eventually move on... :hugs:

btw- very common to happen right before bed (even in adults) as that is the time of day we just relax and our minds can finally wander- as we have no distractions. So any anxiety we may have tends to come out during this time.

I would say something like, you are a happy, VERY HEALTHY little boy which mommy and daddy takes care of very well so you will grow old like grandma/grandpa (whoever is alive) and get to see your kids grow up. And kind of change the subject so they have something to think about besides that like when he grows up and goes to middle school what does he think his favorite sport will be? Does he want to go to college? What color does he want his first car to be? And these things are well far into the future to show him thinking about these things means hes not going to die any time soon. :)

my 4 year old is like this , asks when he or us are going to die and gets upset saying he doesnt want us to die and doesnt want himself to die . We just said like above really that no one is going to die any time soon and that we we will all grow really old first , he still says it occasionally but less often and doesnt get upset about it now is just inquisitive about wha happens

My DD does this as well sometimes, she gets really worked up into a state and starts crying about it.

Hand on heart here, I'm exactly the same. I scare myself stupid thinking about dying one day, and it's usually almost always when I'm lying in bed before I fall asleep. I've never grown out of it.

It's hard to comfort my DD when I know EXACTLY how she feels, as I've never gotten over my fear of death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->