7 month old and no solids!!

LeannieB

Toby and Sam xx
Reaction score
Hi my LO is now 7 months old and still only mostly having BM. We are BLW and he is hardly having anything. He did try some strawberries yesterday but that was pretty much it. Today I put toast and scrambled egg on his highchair and he wouldnt even try it. I have tried him on puree and he wont open his mouth. Im offering him something once a day at the moment. Should I be offering more? Thanks in advance

My 8 month old is still only really on milk. I try and offer something everyday but she mostly blows raspberries than eat anything! Let's face it they won't be still on just milk at 10 so just go with it. :)

My 8 month old is still only really on milk. I try and offer something everyday but she mostly blows raspberries than eat anything! Let's face it they won't be still on just milk at 10 so just go with it. :)

Thank you so much for replying. I have been really worrying about it today. I guess he will eat when he is ready. x

Thank you so much for replying. I have been really worrying about it today. I guess he will eat when he is ready. x

I have been stressing about it for ages but I decided not to worry anymore. It's not doing me or my daughter any good. If they are happy and growing well it doesn't really matter. :hugs:

My LO didn't swallow a thing until she was 8 months old and she was on mostly BM until 15 months. My LO's doctor was incredibly reassuring and told me not to worry about it unless she was losing weight or not having as many milk feeds.

Breastfed babies seem to be a bit slower to take to solids for whatever reason, but once my LO started eating she was pretty good with trying new foods and not horribly picky! Now as a toddler she has her picky phases but I think that's just being a toddler rather than anything to do with her starting solids late. :)

Just keep offering it and don't make a big deal out of it. I wouldn't worry about how often you offer food necessarily, but I'd definitely do it regularly - it doesn't have to be 3 meals a day every day, but offer something when you have time to sit down together and do it. You don't have to make him a full meal obviously, but when you sit down to eat your lunch, offer him something from what you're eating, a small piece of your sandwich, some sliced tomatoes and cucumbers from your salad, some toast and banana from your breakfast, etc. It might just be he needs time to work out what to do with them and one day just watching you eat and mimicking what you're doing will peak his interest in food. It could be he hasn't hit on something he really loves yet, so trying lots of different new things regularly will be good. We did BLW and my daughter was definitely eating something within about 2 weeks of starting, as I started to see it come through in her nappy. But she didn't eat more than a few bites or anything like what would be considered a full meal until maybe 9-10 months. Then it really took off - she'd eat a whole adult sized bowl of porridge (with her fingers or spoonloaded) and a whole banana. Even I can barely eat that much in one setting! It just takes time, so sit back and keep eating together and one day it will happen.

it doesn't have to be 3 meals a day every day, but offer something when you have time to sit down together and do it. You don't have to make him a full meal obviously, but when you sit down to eat your lunch, offer him something from what you're eating, a small piece of your sandwich, some sliced tomatoes and cucumbers from your salad, some toast and banana from your breakfast, etc. It might just be he needs time to work out what to do with them and one day just watching you eat and mimicking what you're doing will peak his interest in food. .

definitely this. Fir the first few days my daughter would only put something in her mouth if I put the same thing in my mouth. Then when she learned that stuff on the high hair was always food she tried whatever I put on there, but eating with her showed her it was "safe".

I wouldn't worry about it :) 7 months is still young. There's plenty of time before you have to focus on them trying more food. Just go with what's natural and continue with just BF.

I'm in the same boat, but my son's Dr is against us doing BLW even! He poops and pees a lot, and nursing for short amounts of time every 2hours still. I'm sure he's getting enough but his weight is gradually dropping percentiles...but he isn't losing weight!
It's really frustrating because he only plays with the food and "tastes" it. When I try spoon feeding purees he just wants to play and chew on the spoon. I really don't think he wants food yet...or he'd eat it...lol
The Dr wants us to be more forceful with giving him food. Ugh, OK....we are looking for a new doctor...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->