7 month old - nursing strike, teething , drop in supply

carbafe

Reaction score
We were on holiday last week and LO started taking really short feeds and fussing. I knew he wasn't feeding as much as I felt very full for a few days. He has been dribbling a lot so I think a tooth his coming but he also had a cough and a temp and horrible nappies (ds1 had those but not a temp when teething) so I'm not sure if he was I'll or teething.

For the past two days he has been doing the short feeds and fussing but I don't feel full so I think my supply has dropped. Today I noticed his nappies were not has heavy as normal so I gave him expressed milk at bedtime (he drank 5oz which is the lower side of normal for him) and I'm pumping just now and definetly seems to have less milk. I am also feeling a but unwell with a sore throat and feel like my period might be coming (not had one after birth yet) perhaps due to less feeding.

Can anyone suggest what I could do ?

It's common for supply to drop a little with all of those things: holiday, illness in mom and baby, teething, and period returning. Have you introduced solids yet? They occasionally drink less when taking solids. Keep feeding him as much as he wants and when he is feeling better he will start to nurse more, maybe have a day or two of clusterfeeding, which will boost your supply again. I wouldn't worry too much about diapers that are less soaked, as long as he is still peeing frequently and pooping on his normal schedule.

Ensure you're drinking enough water and maybe it would be helpful to add some oatmeal to your diet?

But I think the chances of your supply dropping irreversibly is pretty slim if you can continue to feed on demand.

Hope it gets better soon for you!

Thank you. I think it could be lots of things happening at once. I have tried to drink plenty water the past two days (it has also gotten really hot here this week) I pumped again tonight and got a bit more than last night. I will try and get him to feed more often tomorrow and see if that helps. He is on solids as well so maybe that is another factor.... So complicated this milk making business. With the oats do you mean like porriage ? I am not a fan of cereal etc but would it help if I ate it (quickly :D),for a few days ?

I've never tried it as my supply always seemed to come back, but many have said it helped, amongst other things like fenugreek or some teas, but oatmeal seemed to be the easiest. I'm sure you'll be fine without :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->