7 months baby hardly napping

Unlucky41

Reaction score
Hi all

My son is now 7 months old and can stay awake for 3 hours however he only naps between 20 minutes to 1 hour.
He is starting to just have 2 naps but then sleep very early like 5 pm but needs to be resettle a few times before settling into the night.

This doesn't seem to be a healthy schedule as he does get tire after these short naps after 2 hours but can't sleep until 3 hours is up. He can't self settle and I hold him for all naps. Bad I know but that is the only way I could get him to sleep from week 4 even for 20 minutes sometimes.

My question is will be naturally grow out of this or do I have to sleep train.

I never successfully sleep trained my daughter but she was happy to nap on me for ages. With this guy he won't nap longer than 30 minutes before he needs to be resettle and now the longest he can nap for is 1 hour.

Please give me so hope so tiring. My husband has no patience and never puts the kids to sleep. I feel miserable sometimes spending all day putting him to sleep and he isn't even well rested.

It doesn't seem like wonder week for us either. He can't crawl yet so hoping once he does he will sleep better. He isn't really trying to crawl though.

My kids had short naps at that age, 45 mins probably twice a day, so in all honesty it doesn’t sound unusual to me. I never sleep trained them either, though I didn’t hold them for every nap I always breastfed them to sleep.

My advice would be to stop comparing him to perfect babies who nap for 2 hours several times a day, just like a textbook. Neither of mine have done this - fact is, some babies are just not big nappers. Just go with what works for you and don’t stress if it is the way it is.

Hmm I did this for all naps for my daughter not until 18 months she let me put her next to me in bed for a nap. She usually cuddles me even now at 3 years old!

My husband says we can't do that for the son!

Tell him it’s the 21st century and gender equality rules society so whatever your daughter got your son gets ;) jk

But seriously my 4m only naps six times a day for 20-40m (starting at 3m) and used to sleep 10 straight hours at night. His pediatrician said it’s fine and some babies just aren’t into napping/need less sleep

I have to have a blanket wrapped around his legs or a Halo sleepsack swaddle arms free to get him to feel secure enough to sleep though. I rock mine then put him in his napper or crib once he’s either drowsy or totally passed out. He flipped out the first couple days he woke in his cribs so I stayed close to grab him right away then he realized it’s nbd so now he’s stare at the ceiling a while and wait for me to come get him

Love it Dobby!

There is nothing wrong with a mother cuddling her son to sleep eh! My husband never got that type of affection with his parents. He is-loving the affection our daughter gives him but. He thinks guys need to be more independent. Not when they are kids eh!

I know to just go with the flow but really wish I had a baby that would sleep in their cot so I could make a cup of coffee and watch tv hmmm

Just thankful for my smartphone eh

Yeah definitely he’s a baby right now and needs that touch/security. Honestly, I think boys benefit from a bit of softness. I mean most professional atheletes than their dads for pushing them but the way they adore their moms for their love is next level

Idk how big he is now but is he too big for a carrier? I have a k’tan and an ergobaby. The k’tan is great for when my arms are just tired but the ergo works wonders if I have a clingy kid day but have chores to do.

My only suggestion is maybe have him spend some calm, awake time in the crib with you right there or a crib toy to catch his attention and start putting him there once he falls asleep. It’s an adjustment and it broke my heart the way he cried when he woke the first few times but I had no choice because his daycare has cribs.

Thanks Dobby! Can't imagine going back to work buy luckily my mum will look after until he is 2 so have a little bit of time before daycare.

Yes thank God for the ergobaby but he can only do 30 minutes in it. At home I feed him back to sleep so he gets 1 hour . Slightly less grumpy after 1 hour sleep.

Before I return back to work will have to do some training for night time as will have to work some nights grrrrr. Not looking forward to that eh.

Good cuz daycare sucks. Lol my kid has croup for the second time! He’s only been there for a month! r_r. Staff is great though lol

Aww bummer he only tolerates the ergo for a short time :(. Wish I had another suggestion but I don’t :(

Big hugs I know working sucks. I teach and every day I hate that i’m Caring and teaching other people’s kids while someone has mine. It’s made my patience with my students disappear (though that could be lack of sleep too lol). But I just tell myself i’m Working for my kid. The mortgage won’t pay itself and his dad is shit so oh well

Anyway back to you lol I hope your work transition goes smoothly and you’re able to get some reprieve soon

Oh these days ladies are expected to work to be the primary carer of kids and to do majority of the housework. How is this fair eh?

Oh their little immune systems are not that strong until 2 years in my opinion. Hopefully your 4 months old baby's daddy pull his weight.

You are amazing to go back to work so fast. Are you working full time?

I am just hoping and praying my son sleeps better before I go back to work. Every day he wakes up 4am grrrr. Sometimes get him back to sleep other times get his dad up to carry him hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->