7 months tomorrow and she's a very fussy eater!

scerena

Cautiously Expecting #1
Reaction score
Help please!

Ever since I started weaning my daughter refused porrige/baby rice etc she would not open her mouth.

So I purée fruit for her and she LOVES it!

She will not eat off the spoon from me unless it's a yoghurt or pureed fruit...

I've tried mash potato and dinners blended and from jars etc and weetabix... She won't eat any sort of meal...

Here is a list of what she eats-
Yoghurts
Puréed fruit

Finger food:
Toast
Cucumber
Carrots
Broccoli

How can I encourage her to eat meals??? I worry that she's not eating properly... Any thing lumpy on the spoon she refuses it!

That sounds perfect. At 7 months old she doesn't need to be eating "meals." Many babies aren't even eating solids yet at 7 months.

You're in the early stages yet so it's not necessary to be worrying about meals. The first few months are all about introducing tastes and textures. If she doesn't like something then just try again in a month.

As long as she's having a normal amount of milk intake then she's getting all the nutrition she needs from that.

Thank you ladies, I was only worried as my friends baby is younger and eats meals puréed/mashed... Anything lumpy she just gags and refuses to open her mouth- I will try again with the lumpy foods soon as she's enjoying solid finger foods anyway :)

Thanks for the reassurance :)

I'd just move in the direction of more finger foods and more of the sorts of foods you eat and let her play and explore. She doesn't need to eat solids right now for calories or nutrients, so there's no need to stress about the amounts or the variety. It's just about learning and exploring. I'd just start to move in the direction of giving her foods you'd want to eat yourself. Have you tried any of the non-fruit purees or baby rice? They probably taste pretty awful and you wouldn't want to eat them yourself, so you can probably understand why she wouldn't like it. So offer her the sorts of things you're eating and just sit back and let her enjoy it. She'll find things she likes eventually.

Thanks you I feel so much more relaxed about things now- you can tell I am a first time mum :haha:

Have you tried any of the non-fruit purees or baby rice? They probably taste pretty awful and you wouldn't want to eat them yourself, so you can probably understand why she wouldn't like it.

I find this pretty judgemental against pureed jars of food, I fed my son today a jar, of, 60% carrot, 20% potatoes, remaining water, so, no preservatives, or, anything different yo the veg I actually had with my dinner tonight, except yes, I chose a pre packed jar, but there is no need to automatically assume that they will taste awful, cos it's not your desired route of weaning.

I know it's not the direction of this thread but the savoury packets are pretty awful, the ones I tried just smell and taste horrible and I wasn't surprised my little boy wouldn't eat them at all. But who knows maybe I just chose the wrong ones, I think we took about 10 different ones and there was only one he ate, and you know what I'm kicking myself that I don't know which one that was as I need some savoury packets to take with me when I go away next week as I won't have facilities for cooking.

My little one is the same with purées so what I do is finger food first, and then spoon yoghurt/fruit purée at the end.

She will eat anything as finger foods, and I find it much easier/cheaper.

Strangely she won't have lumpy purée either but is great with chewing finger food etc.

I wouldn't worry, sounds like little one is doing great!

My LO is the same, I was struggling to get her to eat anything other than fruit puree and yoghurts. She really doesn't like any baby cereals or baby rice, hates the savoury purees or any baby food with lumps in it. Give her toast, chunks of fruit or veg etc and she wolfs it down! I've been putting her portions on my plate and then offering it to her, and she looks so pleased with herself to be having some of Mummy's food ;)

My friend told me her LO was exactly the same too, and she started eating meals with him and that seemed to encourage him to eat more.

I'm not going to bother with any purees anymore, except fruit puree as she loves it. I'm going to carry on with finger foods and go down the BLW route. BLW scared the crap out of me at first, but she seems happier doing it so that's all that matters to me :) :thumbup:

If she's happy with finger foods why do you have to worry about lumpy purées etc? Just give her what you're having - pasta twists are great for them to hold, she can have things like potato wedges, roasted butternut squash fingers, pieces of chicken, toast, fruit etc. You don't need to just stick to the cucumber and carrot sticks. Also try offering her the spoon. If my daughter is having yoghurt or porridge or mashed potato etc I load the spoon and give it to her and she eats it herself.

Today my lo has had pieces of peach and mini weetabix softened in milk for breakfast and for tea had quorn sausage, potato waffles, carrots, peas and sweetcorn because that's what me and my toddler were having. She had lunch at the childminders, not sure what she had. She's been eating like this since 6 months. Big favourites are watermelon triangles, peach pieces and breadsticks dipped in Philadelphia. She also likes naan bread and curry and pizza!

My DS is 7.5 months and has only been eating for a few weeks, he was also very fussy to start with and would only eat fruit, didn't like baby cereals or yoghurt but he's just starting to enjoy more things.

So far he likes -

Banana
Apples
Pears
Carrots
Sweet potato

He prefers home made purees too. DD liked anything you would give her but I think it's completely normal in early weaning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->