7 week old only feeding once overnight

Kanichen34

Reaction score
The last 3 days my little girl has been going down around midnight, waking between 4&5 for a feed, then sleeping through to 9-10am! Whilst I am appreciative of the extra sleep I can't help but worry that she isn't getting enough to eat and that my supply might diminish with only one night feed?

She is cluster feeding all evening from 6pm feeding every 45mins or so, sometimes only for a few mins other times for a good feed (a good feed for her is 10mins, she can drain a boob in that time). I guess this is her filling up for the night? Will this keep my supply going?

Please reassure me that I can just go with the flow? Or do I need to be setting a 7am alarm to pump?

I'm no expert but my LO has only ever got up once through the night as she did 4 hr sleeps through the night from week 2 (don't ask about week 1 lol!) an for the last few days she's been going 6-7 hrs in her first sleep (from 9/9.30 until 4) then goes down again from about 5-8am. My wee one feeds every 2-3 hrs during day but can feed for up to an hour at a time sometimes. So far my supply is ok and I actually give a formula through the night as my milk through the night wasn't satisfying her and she was getting very windy and having green bowel movements so I actually don't feed from breast from 9pm til 8am

Hope this helps xx

My lo has mainly only had one feed at night too, since 2 days old.... 11pm, then 3-4ish, then 7-8ish. She then feeds every 2hrs during day. I've never really thought about it being an issue. Your body will adjust to the lack of feeding, but then
If she starts waking more again, like during a growth spurt, then you boobs will produce more again x

My lo only used to feed about the sane times. Then we hut 13 weeks. Since then she's awake every 2 hours :( just go with it and enjoy the sleep!!

Vincent did this then dropped the night feed all together (unless ill of course)
He's been sleeping from 7-8pm through to 7am since about 3-4 months! He's fat as you like too, so it didn't do him any harm lol!!! :haha:

Thanks all - feeling reassured now. Coincidently she's been feeding regularly all day and has now been on one boob for about 40 mins so feeling reassured!

My son slept the whole nite since he was about month old .
Whole nite I mean 11pm - 8/9 am
And I breastfed for a yet . Your milk supply is going to adjust to your baby . I know it sounds silly but It will . You will probably get little bit engorged during the nite but after that your milk supply should be bigger during the day and lower during the nite . Babies know when they are hungry so if your lo is sleeping she is just fine and your milk supply is too . Just try to feed her more often during the day ;)

Oops! I just posted a similar question! I should have searched better. Looks like we are in the same boat. :)

Oops! I just posted a similar question! I should have searched better. Looks like we are in the same boat. :)

I was also nervous about it . As any other mom but trust me , be happy about it and take the long sleeps as a bonus :happydance:
The baby knows his-hers needs . If the baby is gaining enough weight everything is just fine :flower:

I'm honestly not sure. My baby usually goes down around 11pm and wakes up at 4pm for his feeding, then wakes up again at 7am. But sometimes if he doesn't go down until midnight, he'll sleep all the way through until 7am. My lactation consultant says that it's probably a good idea to pump once during the night if baby sleeps all night. I, of course have not done this because there's no way I'm waking up in the middle of the night if I don't have to! Your milk will regulate itself, and if your babe is feeding a lot during the day (mine feeds about every 1.5 hours) I'd say it's fine.

My little girl was similar- from 6 weeks she slept through. I never woke to feed her and never had issues with supply. She cluster fed before bed too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->