7 year old son refusing to wear jeans

AwesomeJess

Reaction score
Hi, I'm lost when it comes to my 7 year old son Jordan and his refusal to wear jeans(or most other pants for that matter). He only wears sweatpants, I thought it was just a phase, but 4 years is a long phase...He is terrified of the buttons on most pants, he'll scream when he sees me coming with a pair of jeans trying to get him to put them on. When I ask him why he don't want to wear the jeans, he says "the button looks stupid". He isn't diagnosed with any mental disorder and from what I can tell, he's a regular 7 year old boy, except for this weird phobia. I looked around on eBay for pants that I think he might like and bought a super cute pair of Joe's Jeans, and they have a snap instead of a button. He is not as intimidated by the button on these pants and I can actually get close to him to put them on him. I guess it's because the snap has a simple design(just round and black, very little detail). But as soon as I snap them he starts crying and tries to unsnap them? So I figured out that I can get him to wear pants with snaps, but now I got the problem of trying to get him to keep them on....my best friend thinks he doesn't like wearing snap pants because he is circumcized and the tough fabric is rubbing against his private area. Her son isn't circumcized and he always wears pants with snaps. I think that was silly for her to even say that, I really don't think that is the reason in my opinion. I would like to get him out of this habit of wearing sweatpants this summer before he goes back to school, but I'm running out of ideas. What kind of pants do your son's wear? Anybody in a similar situation as myself?

Thanks, Jessica

Could it be that he finds buttons difficult but rather than tell you that just avoids them completely ? Maybe he doesn't like the feeling of being stuck in them in the sense he can't just pull them up and down

Could it be that he finds buttons difficult but rather than tell you that just avoids them completely ? Maybe he doesn't like the feeling of being stuck in them in the sense he can't just pull them up and down

He hates regular buttoned pants because he has difficulty with the button, but that's why I can get him to wear the snap jeans, he has little problem with those. I always got to supervise him when he got his snap jeans on because he keeps unsnapping them and I got to snap them back up, so frustrating. And I can forget belts. He won't go near them even though he is a slim kid.

My ds is exactly the same nearly 7 will not go near jeans !! He used to wear elasticated waist jeans up until about 2/half years ago now he'll only wear tracksuit bottoms or shorts. He's got autism though and sensory issues and it's all to do with the feel and touch.

Some children have sensory issues that aren't apparent in everyday life but effect little thing maybe your son could have this? Maybe he doesn't like the feel or maybe he does just have a phobia of buttons, a lot of people have odd phobias.

I tried for so long to get my son to wear jeans I always worried he looked a little scruffy lol but now I've given up. If we're going anywhere he needs to be dressed up a little he wears shorts and to school (no uniform at his school) tracksuit bottoms xx

My son is really fussy about what he will wear and at the moment is super fussy about underpants! My friend's daughter has a phobia of buttons and has done most of her life. She is very anxious in general but apparently a phobia if buttons is actually a really common phobia! If you got him some trousers and sewed some funky buttons on in place of plain ones maybe he would be moreexcited about wearing them?

DS lives in shorts and sweat pants in cold weather. He hates any type of long trousers

He gets irritated from under pants, he only wears them when we go out. When he was younger it was impossible to get him to wear jeans, now he accepts with bribery & promises that we will change him into more comfy clothes if he gets irritated. I know with my son it is sensory so I just dress him in what he finds comfy

my daughter hates wearing jeans - the denim is scratchy on her skin and the button uncomfortable. /belts to she finds uncomfortable around her waist. She just wears leggings skirts and shorts

Sorry but I don't think curcumsision is anything to do with it. In fact if it does I would take him to see the doctor as there is obviously something wrong. Some people just don't like to wear certain things. My ds never wore jeans for about 8 years and now it's all he wears. My dd would never wear joggers from about 4 years old and 10 years on she still won't.

I personally hate jeans and find the fabric incredibly uncomfortable and harsh. I also hate the feeling of the waistband on my hips. I have to wear elastic type pants like sweats or leggings. Perhaps it's something like that?

Sorry but I don't think curcumsision is anything to do with it. In fact if it does I would take him to see the doctor as there is obviously something wrong. Some people just don't like to wear certain things. My ds never wore jeans for about 8 years and now it's all he wears. My dd would never wear joggers from about 4 years old and 10 years on she still won't.

Yeah, My boyfriend is circumcized and never had a problem when he was little, but then again, he has more skin leftover than our son, when the doctor circumcized Jordan, she didn't leave much skin, so that could explain it. He does get fussy when he haves the occasional erection, so I'm thinking that he is afraid he might get an erection when he wears his snap jeans, poor little guy :( Maybe I should make a Doctor's appointment for him regarding this issue. My friend got me made paranoid that this could be an issue

I personally hate jeans and find the fabric incredibly uncomfortable and harsh. I also hate the feeling of the waistband on my hips. I have to wear elastic type pants like sweats or leggings. Perhaps it's something like that?

Hmm, that could be the reason. I'm gonna buy some snap jeans that are a size bigger and try that. I always got him the slim fit since he is a slim kid.

my daughter hates wearing jeans - the denim is scratchy on her skin and the button uncomfortable. /belts to she finds uncomfortable around her waist. She just wears leggings skirts and shorts

This. I dont remember the last time she wore them. I can see exactly where she is coming from, dont blame her!
None of my girls own a pair of jeans!

WSS

I own absolutely no skirts or trousers with structured waistbands just pull on jogger type things. I mostly wear jersey dresses as I detest the feeling of having something digging into my waist.

Interestingly, I remember being the only one at school wearing a track suit for non uniform day when I was eleven, because I didn't own a pair of jeans as I hated wearing them. I had actually forgotten all about it until reading this thread as I wear jeans all the time now.

I honestly dont see an issue? My 9yr old hates leggings so I dont buy them. Sometimes mine wanna go out in joggers which I hate bit its their call.

My son wont really wear Jeans. He likes combats.

neither of my daughters will wear jeans, they've never liked them. they're both happy enough to wear leggings & i've put away the couple of pairs of jeans they do have, since it's pointless them taking up space in the wardrobe. most of their friends are the same. i didn't wear jeans until i was a teenager because i didn't like them either.

i was buying trousers for a friend's son & got combats with an elasticated waistband from m&s, which he's happy to wear.

I honestly dont see an issue? My 9yr old hates leggings so I dont buy them. Sometimes mine wanna go out in joggers which I hate bit its their call.

My son wont really wear Jeans. He likes combats.

I agree with this. You know what he likes, why not go with it? Why are jeans important to you?

My 12 year only and has only ever worn sweat pants. His clothes. ..his choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->