8 y.o. steals sweets

Lotiel

Reaction score
My son started stealing sweets, which is quite bad since he has allergic reactions and the skin around his mouth goes all very dry and sore if he eats a lot of candies, chococates, etc. We've tried to punish him in various ways but he keeps doing it.
My OH and I have had an argument as to how to discipline him. OH insists on banning sweets for several days after the "robbery", while I think he still needs to have something every day otherwise his craving will ony increase and go beyond his control. I'd rather limit his computer time and such.
Have you ever been in this situation? Any advice to offer?

I wouldn't do anything to do with food. Food issues are caused really easily by using it to discipline/reward.

What does he say when you ask why he does it?

i would stop buying them

i had the same issue with jack and biscuits and i just stopped buying them altogether

i would stop buying them

i had the same issue with jack and biscuits and i just stopped buying them altogether

I suppose we're going to have to, if everything else fails...

If you think he can't help it, punishing him seems a bit cruel. He can't help himself but he'll probably feel guilty or scared and then he gets punished as well, for something he couldn't really help.

How about getting some sweets or treats he can have (that don't affect him badly) and giving him a set number per week, whatever you feel is acceptable? He can eat them all on day one but then won't get any more or he can make them last, his choice. Once you've given him his sweets for the week, put the rest away where he can't get them or just don't have them in the house. You could make lots of better alternatives available freely though - bowls of fresh fruit left around to snack from, breadsticks/veg sticks and dips, vegetable crisps etc.

How about getting some sweets or treats he can have (that don't affect him badly) and giving him a set number per week, whatever you feel is acceptable? He can eat them all on day one but then won't get any more or he can make them last, his choice. Once you've given him his sweets for the week, put the rest away where he can't get them or just don't have them in the house. You could make lots of better alternatives available freely though - bowls of fresh fruit left around to snack from, breadsticks/veg sticks and dips, vegetable crisps etc.

Thank you, I think we'll try some of these tips! Fresh fruit is always there, though, it just doesn't seem to tempt him much *sigh*

Is he really active? Maybe he is lacking in energy or something. You could try making some healthier alternatives (we make cereal bars that have cocoa, nuts, seeds and peanut butter in) that would give him energy. Or maybe his iron levels are a bit low? I know as an adult I sometimes crave sweet things when I'm tired.

Yes, I crave sweets myself and biscuits evem more. Cereal bars might be very good idea, actually, for both of us. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->