9 day old ebf baby constipated?

AmeliePoulain

Mama to 3 girls
Reaction score
My 3rd baby is now 9 days old, and I thought I understood babies now!

She is ebf and from my experience and everything I am feeling she is feeding well.

She cleared all of her meconium by day 3 but since then she hasn't had many dirty nappies at all.

She had maybe 1 a day, but not a huge amount and it changed from black/green to dark brown orange. She was weighed on day 5 and she had lost 8% of her birthweight which I was fine with - my other girls lost 9.5% and 8.5%.

My milk definitely came in fine - I've bf a lot in the past 4.5 years and my supply has always been quite regulated but I get there in the end. My other girls certainly had no issues pooping!

Anyway - the mws came out and weighed her again on day 8 and she is gaining and was at that point 4% off her birthweight. Her slight jaundice is gone, she is weeing the right amount, she isn't uncomfortable and she is passing plenty of wind (which is now quite smelly)

Her poop though yesterday that the MW saw was basically brown, the night before she passed a poo that was almost soft clay like in consistency and definitely brown. It is like she is constipated???

Since then she has done a few more small poops that are a slightly more normal colour and not as firm.

The mws want to weigh her again on Sunday morning and are keeping in touch with me and don't think we need a GP referral yet.

I really don't know what to make of what is going on though. The only difference with this baby compared to my others is that she was born after a very quick labour and she was full of mucous for the first 3/4 days. In those days she did some enormous vomits, with a lot of fluid, colostrum and then milk all mixed in. I think in that time she did an orange wee nappy - could she have dehydrated herself and this has caused constipation?

I'm not incredibly worried but obviously this can't go on too much longer with the minimal and strange coloured poop?

Any insight or experience???

It actually sounds like everything is fine. If she's gaining weight and the mw isn't showing any concern I would pawn it off to the fact that she's EbF and that is why she isn't pooping for you as much. With dd2, who I EBF, she hardly pooped for me! When she did though her diapers were explosive- none the less, she pooped every 2-3 days.

After much worry and dismay I learned that breast milk is absorbed almost entirely with not a lot of waste left behind. It proved true to her until she started foods.

This baby, dd3, also EbF and she poops for me everyday. Some brown some mustardy some looser than others and some thicker than others. It all depends on what I eat.

So I would just say it's normal, unless associated with other symptoms.

Her wind smells less than sweet now - I'd quite like her to have an explosion!

Thank you for your reassurance - all my girls have been so different at the beginning, why is it so hard to figure babies out???

Haha! I wonder the same thing. After two I swore I had it all figured out! But of course I find myself questioning everything. I suppose this is good, right? Better everything than nothing.

You really become a new mom all over again!

As for my LO, she's pooped herself out of 3 outfits and pooped daddy out of his ENTIRE work uniform in less than 24 hours.

Yeesh.

I got a yellow poop out of her early this morning but nothing more yet.

She gets weighed again tomorrow so I'll see how that goes.

She is still SO windy.

Well she is gaining fine - she was born at 7lb 1oz, went down to 6lb 7oz, day 8 was 6lb 9.5oz and today (early on day 11) she is 6lb 12.5oz.

The midwife was of the view that she has done normal poops so all is good and as she is gaining and weeing fine then no concerns - she is probably going to be an infrequent pooper or just take a while to get going!

Before you have babies, I guess you can never imagine thinking about somebody's poop quite so much! ;) if she is gaining weight, peeing right and not in pain I wouldn't be panicked. I would just be keeping an eye on things as you are. It is also reassuring that she is pooping (just not loads!). We were told that breastfed babies only 'poop out the excess', so they can not poop a lot early on and be fine). It is more the consistency that I would keep a watch on.

Trust your instincts and take her to be seen by a doctor if you are worried. Have you tried a warm bath and tummy massage?

I hope everything evens out for you in the next few days :flower:

Yep, we have tried tummy massage and a warm bath - when she had the poo that was the weird consistency I rubbed a warm bit of cotton wool over her bottom and that prompted the poop.

I'm still keeping a close eye, if I'm not totally happy I'll take her to the GP next week.

She seems fine though - and she just wee'd all over me during a nappy change and the wee is a good colour and she is seemingly gaining weight well. She certainly seems content and is sleeping and waking fine and doesn't appear to be in pain.

I've never examined poop so much in my life than with my children!!! My little one had a mucousy diaper on Saturday with diarrhea and had it not been for the fact that I had an appt today, I would have scrambled to my phone and dialed her ped. Green poop yesterday, today it's back to normal color and consistency.

No other symptoms just that. My oldest told me she had stomach ache and diarrhea today too. The PEDS doctor confirms my suspicion of her probably having had a stomach bug that has passed on it's own.

Fingers crossed nothing major in my household. But her temp was normal all weekend and today and she is otherwise fine!

She weighed 10lbs 3.5oz today. 8lbs 1.3oz at birth and at 3 days later was at 7lbs 5oz.

Glad to hear your little one is gaining and progressing well. It's hard not to worry. During the first week with E I could never tell when her diaper was wet. Ever. It freaked me out. But her output increased and she regulated and in turn I calmed down a little.

But it's hard !

We had another weight check a few days ago and she is gaining 1oz a day which I think for a petite little girl is good.

Anyway. She made me wait 5 full days (and I took her to the GP on day 4 on advice of a lacatation consultant who is a friend of a friend - the GP palpated her tummy and checked her bottom and all perfect) and this morning she did a poo that stained her yellow from nipple level to knees! Perfect bfing poo. I guess I'll see if that is going to be her pattern or if she'll get more frequent now.

Just by way of update she is now doing one huge dirty nappy a day but exactly as it should be colour wise etc.

I just wanted to update as nearly everything I was reading online was suggesting there had to be an underlying issue - and really I don't think there was at all.

Great that all is going well! :) I think it is so great when people update in case someone searches and finds a thread down the line :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qpurple547
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->