9 days in...

Anniebobs

Mum of 1 & due in Nov
Reaction score
And he's still feeding every hour through the night. He tends to feed every 2 hours during the day and he can go 3 hours (but has only done that during the day).

Obviously it's still early days - he's 9 days old now - but when can I expect a little longer during the night? I can't remember from when I bf DD.

Sounds like he has his days and nights mixed up! Can you encourage him to feed more often during the day? Or is he not interested? You could try the wake-eat-play pattern during the day to make sure he knows it's day time and expose him to lots of daylight? At night maybe try to get him to go just a tiny bit longer (even 10 minutes) by rocking, bouncing, or offering a soother (if you're not opposed to them) first. always give minimal eye contact and no talking or playing during the night (which I'm sure you don't do anyway since who wants to talk in the middle of the night?) hahah. And I would do diaper changes before you feed him so that he can fall right back asleep after. No idea if that will help but that's all I can think of! You have my sympathy...being up every hour all night would be horrible!

My DD was mixed up for a couple of weeks.

You've got a big growth spurt coming soon (3 weeks ish) and after that your supply will increase even more and he will likely start going a bit longer.

I encouraged DD to feed loads in the early evening and that tended to help a bit. X

Sounds like he has his days and nights mixed up! Can you encourage him to feed more often during the day? Or is he not interested? You could try the wake-eat-play pattern during the day to make sure he knows it's day time and expose him to lots of daylight? At night maybe try to get him to go just a tiny bit longer (even 10 minutes) by rocking, bouncing, or offering a soother (if you're not opposed to them) first. always give minimal eye contact and no talking or playing during the night (which I'm sure you don't do anyway since who wants to talk in the middle of the night?) hahah. And I would do diaper changes before you feed him so that he can fall right back asleep after. No idea if that will help but that's all I can think of! You have my sympathy...being up every hour all night would be horrible!

Thanks for your advice literati - hope alls going well with your LO.

He eats every 2 hours during the day then cluster feeds in the evening, I wouldn't want to feed him more than that because I have DD to watch / entertain! Trying to show him it's daytime is tricky, it has rained here for the last few days so we've not been outside since the weekend and it's so grey outside we've had to have the lights on. Noise is not a problem though - DD takes care of that! So hopefully he will soon realise that when it's quiet he should sleep, not when it's noisy! I am tempted to give him a dummy but it became such a pain with DD when she dropped it during the night I would like to avoid it this time. Maybe when I get desperate (which I very nearly am!) I feed him off one side then he'll fall asleep so I change him and he'll feed off the other side - he does the same during the day too. He was only 5lb15 and so is probably just feeding all night to try and catch up. I just can't wait to get some sleep I feel myself getting snappy and that's not like me.

My DD was mixed up for a couple of weeks.

You've got a big growth spurt coming soon (3 weeks ish) and after that your supply will increase even more and he will likely start going a bit longer.

I encouraged DD to feed loads in the early evening and that tended to help a bit. X

I like having something to aim for! I can deal with this for another few weeks if it means I'll be getting sleep soon.

He already cluster feeds in the evening (5ish-12) then feeds every hour then sleeps around 2 hours from 6ish. But then DD wakes at 7 😣

I have a bottle of expressed milk in the fridge and am going to try and express another each day so that DH can feed him at some point.
Not sure when would be the best time though. Maybe the midnight feed in the hopes that he'll sleep longer if he gets a full feed rather than my worn out boobs!

Is there anyone who could take a few days off work to look after DD during the day? That way you could sleep during the day too while you waited for LO to realise the difference between day and night.

I think they become more alert and aware of surroundings at about 3 weeks so I'd expect more daytime awake periods and better success recognising that night is night after that point.

However even if it is night time, if LO is hungry he'll wake up. Delaying feed times isn't recommended as a distressed baby often struggles to latch correctly (if at all) but you have to decide what will work for you. I can't imagine how hard it is having to be awake with a toddler too!

Is there anyone who could take a few days off work to look after DD during the day? That way you could sleep during the day too while you waited for LO to realise the difference between day and night.

I think they become more alert and aware of surroundings at about 3 weeks so I'd expect more daytime awake periods and better success recognising that night is night after that point.

However even if it is night time, if LO is hungry he'll wake up. Delaying feed times isn't recommended as a distressed baby often struggles to latch correctly (if at all) but you have to decide what will work for you. I can't imagine how hard it is having to be awake with a toddler too!

DH will be quieter towards the end of the month - he's a self employed electrician and arranged his jobs around DSs due date but then he came a month early! So I'll have more help with DD soon. And family have helped by taking her the odd morning here and there so I can nap with DS.

I spoke with the HV this morning and she said the same as you, 3 weeks is the norm for staying awake a bit longer during the day so hopefully by next week I'll be getting some sleep anyway. Am praying that's true!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->