a bit annoyed at uni...

meg

Mum to 1 and TTC!
Reaction score
This might turn into a bit of a rant so don't read if you can't be bothered!

I've had bad morning sickness almost since I found out I was pregnant at 3.5 weeks. Its not been truly terrible, ie, I can keep stuff down, but it has been constant, every morning, some afternoons, some evenings, and really wiping me out. The walk to uni is up the steepest hill you ever have seen, and that doesn't help.

Because of this my attendance at uni has REALLY slipped, but I've been doing all the work (I've had an extension or 2 to help out) and really trying my best to stick at it as i'm half way through 3rd year now. I've informed my 'personal development tutor' who is supposed to give help and guidance etc, but she is being really annoying! At first she was really supportive, saying lots of nice things etc, but now she is basically saying I should drop out and come back once the baby is born (which I cant afford to do as it would be repeating the year) and she hasn't informed any of my lecturers of the circumstances surrounding my absence, which she said she would do to save me doing it.

I've REALLY been trying to keep my act together and not get stressed- there is a lot of work at quite a high level, and i've informed the people I am meant to - I just feel like i'm getting no support at all. I feel like i'm doing everything I can to cope with this, but everything is being flung back in my face. It's not like I need additional time because i'm out getting drunk every night!

I just think that it's really unacceptable how much i'm trying to get everything done, and she's just being useless!

Don't get me wrong, I know so many of you have had a really really hard pregnancy, but it seems like i'm getting swept under the carpet and ignored, even thought I really want to complete this year!

Sorry for the rant, and thanks, I feel better now!!:hug:

Hey, sorry to hear your personal tutors inconsiderate!
As you said, its not like your out getting drunk every night! Is there a lecturer you get on well with that you can talk to, get them to tell your other lecs. Or just complain about her, either to her, or somebody who can have a word with her?

Im glad im not at college anymore i dont think i could cope, smells send my sickness wild! All the fag smoke and cheap perfume...arrghhh!!!!

xx

:hugs: I agree that if your personal tutor isn't doing what she said she'd do to put in a complaint. You don't need the extra stress of having to go round explaining what's going on to everyone so maybe make an appointment with your head of department and explain what's been going on? You don't have to put in an official complaint about what's happened but by talking to their boss then things should start going better.

:hug: xxx

:hugs: I'm in college right now.. my semester was pretty much a waste of my time and money because I was always really tired and the bus made me feel AWFUL (motion sickness combined with pregnancy sickness to make me want to kill myself everytime I took public transit, lol..) and I had to continue to work a lot of hours so I could afford the baby!

No one really helped me out.. I guess people said congratulations and stuff but I had a few group projects that I got excluded from by group members bc I was pregnant and they didn't want me to skip out on work, etc. (which I would never do anyway) and I made like zero friends..

Not to mention my classes were boring, lol and not my type whatsoever, so I'm going to go back and take something else after baby.. but I really do understand where you're coming from!! It's not like you look for "special treatment" you just want someone to understand, etc. right! :)

That is awful!!
I'm at uni in my last year and so far it has been a living nightmare, I'm always ill (flu, sickness bugs etc) and I've been trying my best where attendance is concerned but I'd be damned if I let anyone have a go because of it.
The idiots that go out 7 times a week & never attend anything don't get anything said to them!!

I've got a cold atm and I've managed to do two important pieces of uni work today & I have two pieces left for this semester (due in two weeks time) in my opinion as long as the work is getting done & to a decent standard why does it matter if attendance to lectures etc is on the low side!

Pfft Uni are rubbish!!

Ashleigh xXx

Unis always have something to say even though when you have a valid reason. I can completely sympathise with you there.

Maybe you could send an email to all your lectures informing them of your situation and that even though your missing lectures you will get the work done. That's what i did in the end I basically had a short template that i sent to every lecturer, i just changed the name lol

Hey, im at college and the tutors have been awful. I only have 2 different tutors one for the theory side and one for the practical side and they both no im pregnant and they were ok at first but since my morning sickness has come back they have had no sympathy at all and they say that my attendence has slipped and i have only missed one morning because of a scan so i dont understand why there being so awful with me, just the other day i took in a letter for my consultant appointment next week and they had the cheek to tell me that the letter was fake, why would i do something like that??

dear me girls, it seems like we are ALL having problems of some nature with our uni/college.

Think i might contact the NSA as there should be standard procedure (surely?) for dealing with a student who is pregnant - and not messing them around at such an emotional time!!

Hope we can all get this sorted. Had another email today from my personal development women saying 'you are clearly getting upset....'

haha - upset? no, MAD!

I'm at uni in my third year also. Have you tried your head of department rather than your tutor? I bypassed by personal tutor straight away and just went straight to the head of department, explained it all to her and she's been really helpful, has actually told the people she said she would, kept quiet to others about it and has said to keep her informed of how things go. Even when I told her that I'd missed a couple of her own lectures for it she was still fine with me, especially when I told her that I was catching notes, etc, up from friends. Just try and find someone that's above your personal tutor and hopefully they'll be more caring!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->