A bit freaked out about a catheter :/

MeaganMackenz

Reaction score
So I was totally not giving a rats behind about my third labour in 1-2 months, until now.
I went natural with dd1 and had an epi with dd2. I was planning an epi this time around but the idea of a catheter hit me.

See if I remember correctly, (because I was in labour at 130am, fully epiduraled around 3 and slept until 730.. So either half asleep or actually asleep) I didn't have a catheter. I remember asking the nurse around 8am to put one in because I felt like I had to pee. When she went to put one in I was good to go and my daughter was born at 902am.
So I *think* she may have emptied it before the pushing started but I didn't have it in for any length of time. The epidural was already wearing off by the time I went to push because I felt everything down below, but not the contractions. I was up and walking to clean myself up between 10 and 1030.

Does that even sound possible to anyone? From what I understood you're not suppose to feel your bladder under an epidural? Would an epidural be wearing off after 6-7 hrs of it being in or did I miss a bunch of things (like them stopping the drip or something) lol.

Now I'm freaking out about it, I'm prone to utis, I don't want one after but I don't want to feel labour unless it's moving at lightening speeds lol.

Not sure if you can feel the urge to pee while under a working epi or not. With my last two they put the catheter in right after the epi took effect. Though with those dang fluids hooked up, I was thankful to not have to get up and pee every 15 minutes anymore.

With my first they put in the catheter right after the epidural took effect. I don't remember it going in or them taking it out. I don't remember feeling the urge to pee at all either... though it was almost 5 years ago, I feel like I would remember if I had the urge to pee. Though my epidural was great for me.... I was pretty out of it when they first started it talking nonsense and all after about an hour it turned into just pain relief.

My epidural was spotty, it numbed everything except my right hip, which it dulled. So I felt my contractions slightly through that (and looking back now I'm thankful I could feel a little bit because it made pushing easier) but the catheter was the least of my worries, I remember having the slight urge to pee, but I was catheterized very quickly. And then they re-inserted it after she got here because my urethra was SO swollen I couldnt pee at all. My epidural had worn off by then and the insertion + removal of the catheter 24 hours later was painless. Don't stress over it! It's really quick and just feels strange!

To hate those things. Had it during a surgery. It doesn't hurt, but feel very awkward.

I don't remember mine at all and don't even remember it being removed. The midwife told me she was putting it in after I had the epidural. That's the only reason I know I had one. I still wondered why there were tape marks on my leg later. I gave birth at around 1.30 pm and stayed in bed with baby till 5.30-6...and then got up to shower and clean up. I don't think I at any point felt bladder pressure or the need to pee even before the epidural.

I don't remember mine at all and don't even remember it being removed. The midwife told me she was putting it in after I had the epidural. That's the only reason I know I had one. I still wondered why there were tape marks on my leg later. I gave birth at around 1.30 pm and stayed in bed with baby till 5.30-6...and then got up to shower and clean up. I don't think I at any point felt bladder pressure or the need to pee even before the epidural.

I dont think you feel any pressure with the cathedral.

I freaked out when they told me they were going to insert one when I was in labor with my daughter. I tried so hard to refuse it, but they didn't give me a choice. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting and I had no problems because of it.

They gave me one of those pans when I had my son vaginally in 2005.

mine was placed after the epidural (so i was numb and didn't feel a thing) and was removed before i started pushing. I was a little bit sore from it after the birth for a few months, but it didn't really cause any problems. As others have said, i was just glad to not have to get up to pee every 30 minutes!

I had a catheter because my bladder was so full that the babies head couldnt xome out. I only had gas and air and didn't feel bothered by the catheter at all. It irritated my bladder a bit afterwards but because so much is going on down there it's not an issue at all. I wouldn't worry about it x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->