A bit nervous about TTC. High Risk Pregnancy!

0906tiger

Reaction score
HI
I'm new to the site. I am looking to TTC very shortly. I am type 1 diabetic and have have ended a pregnancy earlier this year due to my baby having Downs Syndrome.
I am so scared about conceiving another baby even though it's what i want more then anything in the world. I have been taking Folic acid now for 5 months and HBA1C is 7%. But still am so nervous about getting pregnant again.
I would have been due to deliver my baby in 2 weeks time had we not terminated (a horrible word) in February. I think thats really upsetting me at the moment plus the fear of it happening again.

Anyone else in a similar situation? could do with a bit of support?x

I am type 1 diabetic and have have ended a pregnancy earlier this year due to my baby having Downs Syndrome.
I am so scared about conceiving another baby even though it's what i want more then anything in the world.

Hello and welcome - didn't want to read and run.
I think I'm completely missing the point here, so do forgive me if my view is wrong..
Are you scared to conceive again just in case of it having Downs Syndrome?!?

Many ladies after suffering a loss always are worried about TTC just in case they have to go through the horrific pain of a miscarriage again. I guess if you're emotionally ready too then you will be okay. Just think positive.. Have faith and hope.

I'm type 2 diabetic, I also have epilepsy and a blood clotting disorder but trying again after a stillbirth.
The only thing I would suggest is getting your hba1c down a bit further - before I got pregnant mine was sitting at 4.8 and during went up to 5.6 - it really is better to keep it as close to normal as possible. I know that it is sooooo much easier to say that than to do it and your consultant would know better than me but it's something I would think about.
Good luck.
xx

hi Halley.
I'm scared of both to be honest, scared of having another baby with Downs syndrome as i have an increased risk now and don't know how i'd cope with it again. And also scared of conceiving as i am going to be so worried from start to finish with the next pregnancy.
I guess i'm still messed up from loosing Oliver but i think the worry of it happening again is driving me mad. It feels like a lonely place to be at the moment as lots of friends are announcing pregnancies or having babies at the moment. Only time will tell I suppose.
Thanks for the reply xx

Perdita - Thank you also for your reply. Yes i think i will lower by HBA1C more before coming off the pill. I had it down to 5.2% with the last pregnancy. You do really well to keep your HBA1c as low as that, i find that i tend to have more hypos, do You? x

I'm lucky - not had a hypo for ages and then it was because I'd been put on nil by mouth for 18 hours and no-one thought to test my blood sugar until I stood up and fell over!
It really hasn't been easy keeping low like that recently, since losing Evie I've gained weight from so much comfort eating and just going nowhere and doing nothing. It's only in the past few week I've managed to get it consistently below 7mmol/l when testing at home and been trying to lose weight to help in the getting pregnant thing! Of course had a BFP at the weekend and now don't know what to do with myself! I tried for ten years with my ex-husband and he left me because he wanted kids more than he wanted me and started to blame me for not being pregnant. I blamed myself for being fat, for having diabetes, for being me I guess. New partner has now (hopefully) succeeded for a second time so there is always hope and there is always something you can try and do that helps. I eat loosely following the low GI sort of thing and I also stopped eating wheat which has really helped but it's what is best for you. Dieticians don't live your life so you have to take their advice and adapt it for your lifestyle.
But I'm lecturing now, all you can do is your best and hope for the best. And I would have thought your risks for downs would be the same in subsequent pregnancies regardless of what has happened or is it your age that changes that?
I'm so nosey, can't help myself!
xx

Hi
thanks for message. Glad you've found someone that loves you for you, thats really nice to hear. What's a BFP if you don't mind me asking?
I put weight on with last pregnancy and have found it so difficult to get rid of due to trying to control sugars, having more hypos and drinking lucozade (not good for your weight).
Got my next HBA1C in 3 weeks so fingers crossed it's lower (which im pretty certain it will be) then we can get trying again.
With next pregnancy there will be my usual risk for age which should be around 1:900 plus an extra 1% chance due to carrying a baby with Downs Syndrome before. Doesn't sound a big risk but when there was only approx 2% chance of Oliver having Downs when my bloods come back i've learnt not to listen to statistics and just think if there's a chance it can happen it might happen. Ask all the questions you want, i don't mind it's good to be aware of these things isn't it xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->