A C-section horror story!

Well it's clear that my story is relevant so...

My eldest was born by C-section due to transverse breech. It was scary as hell just because I was by myself but the team were great and we were both fine.

With my youngest I was determined to give birth via VBAC but after 30 hours I was only 6cm so they tried to attach an internal monitor to Charlies head and also get a blood gasses reading from him. They tried SEVEN TIMES :cry: It F'king hurt but they still couldn't get it. An hour later I was still 6cms so they decided to do a section. There weren't enough staff so the midwife and student were enlisted into theatre.

During the operation the surgeon nicked the bladder and had to put a couple of stitches in it. I lost a sh*t load of blood, coming very close to needing a transfusion. I was canulated in seven seperate sites (3left 2right) and the first thing that happened when she held him up for me to see was that he sh*t meconium all over me! :rofl:

And don't dare talk to me about tummytucks, I'm going to get one this time because when they closed me up they left about a 2inch leway over the top of what I call my hem line; the op scar, which I have permanantly sagging over and the more weight I lost the bigger the 'overhang' (man I hate that word now) got. I have looked 5 months pregnant for TWO YEARS!

Now; believe it or not I'm not saying this to scare you or have you feel sorry for me, because the fact is that Charlie had corkscrewed himself up in his umbilical cord and could not physically get out. He was in terrible distress and his blood gasses were close to saturation; if we had not decided to act when we did then there is a very real chance that we could have lost him. Believe me, if you find yourself in that situation you wont even care if you live or die so long as your baby is safe.

Horror stories like that can scare the sh*t out of you but between that and the life of your baby, obviously, there is no comparison. Don't wreck yourselves over it ladies because it wont make a blind bit of difference if the sh*t hits the fan, believe.

:hug:

Wow that is horrible! I really really didn't want one to begin with and now I feel that way doublely so!! :hugs:

Sweetie that so wasn't my intention. Sorry. :hugs:

All I meant was that feeling either way about it is kind of irrelevent because if you need it you'll have it. Even after all that a section is my first choice this time round and if I'm honest I think that they're probably safer, purely because the margin of variables is greatly reduced and those variables are covered in the equation.

Whoa I turned into a maths class :huh:

All I mean is that in theatre the team have contingencies set up. :blush:

Please don't be scared it's not that bad; certainly not compared to the love of your baby. :cloud9:

Hmm, it's difficult to say that because something bad happened for one emergency c-section that they are to be feared. C-sections saved the lives of several of my friends' babies (and my friends for that matter).

To put things in perspective, bad things can happen with natural births too. But the overwhelming majority of both regular and c-section births end up fine.

It's not good to get yourself worked up about it honey! If you have a bumpy ride in terms of your own labour, and you have to get a c-section, you are going to psyche yourself out. No one needs the psychological stress of being terrified about a procedure that is often a last-resort when there is trouble.

Take it easy on yourself and don't worry. My father has done hundreds, if not thousands of c-sections, and nothing like that has ever happened.

Amanda x

Hm, you have to keep in mind these are VERY RARE events! I personally think more things go wrong with natural childbirth than with ceasarians!(Baby gets stuck, mothers body goes into shock, problems with pain relief, etc.)

Although if that happened in the same hospital I was having my baby in, I'd probably shit myself too..

I am also a theatre nurse and stories like this just serve to put the fear of God into people. You have to remember that amongst this, her and her babies lives were saved. The other things is, that stories like this become greatly excagerated over time, from person to person. I'm not denying that the baby was cut and the scar was bad, but not necessarily as bad as we've been told.
Sections are only done when necessary and should be seen as a wonderful thing, that can save both your lives when the alternative is just unthinkable.
So now, everyone take a breath, and enjoy the rest of your pregnancies! What will happen will happen!!!:hug:

Well seeing as it was directly from the mouth of her sister I don't think it was exaggerated...:lol:

But thanks for the replies,I guess it is just one rare case but still made me shiver!

c sections scare me never had to have an operation but if its best for me and baby then so be it but these stories do scare u xx

I had an emergency c-section with DS after a long, painful labour the stubborn little mite still wouldn't come out. I was so scared and hated the thought of a c-section all the way through pg, but I'm glad I had one in the end.

I didn't find it that bad to recover - DS was in special care, in a whole different block to the ward I was placed on and I was walking over to see him the same day as the c-section. In fact I found it better than when I had a lap done the year before - it took me ages to get over that.

I have been told that I will probably need one on the next one so I don't mind now - they're not as scary as some people make out and I'm sure there are some worse case scenarios, the same as there is with natural childbirth and other operations. At the end of the day as long as u & the baby r safe then it's the best option.

You thought a c-section was pain free?! It's an operation. Obviously you're going to be sore after your tummy has been cut open >.<

Anyway, for every horror story, there's 100 wonder stories.

i have had 3 c sections & will be having a 4th section with this one , i have never had any probs (touch wood ) with any of mine , but yeah i was told to stay in bed for a few hrs after just untill the numbness fully wears of on my legs from the epidural , but it can take along time to recover after a c section & your not allowed to drive for 6 weeks after . violet xx

WOW!! OMG!! that would make me think twice about going to that hospital!!! I cant believe they didnt let her see her own baby for 10day! did they tell mom that they cut her baby or did she just see the cut? Im sorry if you end up having a c-section i wish you tons of luck!!!

I wouldn't hold it against the hospital actually.

A C-Section isn't always a stress free rosey alternative to Natural birth. Especially not an emergency one. And if it's an emergency and you're baby's life is threatened they're not always going to do an epidural. They'll knock you out. It's quicker.

The cutting the baby part isn't nice. But then again. It was an emergency. Their only mission was to get the baby out and quickly.Maybe the doctor performing it was a trainee and nervous. That part sucks really they should've been more careful.

It's a crappy thing to have happened to her. I feel sorry for her but you can't now suddenly see every C-Section as being a horror story just because of one bad experience.

I can't undertsnad why someone would choose to have a section as an alternative to a natural labour. Medical reasons or whatever, fair enough but I can't understand why someone would voluntarily put themselves through it. But Ive said that before and started arguments, so I wont go on!

To be honest, I didn't think labour was half as bad as it was made out to be. I had a fairly easy labour, so I probably can't comment fairly, but I still think it's a lot easier than people tell you.

xxx

Horrible story, but I think that's rare. And much more likely in an emergency situation where they're in a hurry to get the baby out and save it. Mine will be scheduled, and I'm not worried at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->