A couple of cloth questions

M

MummyKaya

Hi all,
so I'm new to cloth, have ordered my stash, hopefully to arrive tomorrow, exciting!!! ( I blame the thread post your cloth bum pics for my new found addiction!)
what are the benifits of pre washing new nappies? Is this to gain correct absorbency levels? Any other reasons?
And is it true you cannot use a nappy cream when using cloth, if so why?
And anything else you feel a cloth novice should know?

Many thanks! :thumbup:

You do need to prewash/soak to get absorbency, you CAN use them straight away but you may find you get some leaks and they wont last very long on! Depending on what type of nappy they are you may want to soak them overnight in a bucket and then put them through a few rinse cycles before using.
You can use nappy creams but you would want to use a fleece or disposable liner to protect the nappy. Nappy rash is rarer in cloth bum babies though so hopefully it wont be a problem for you.

You do need to prewash/soak to get absorbency, you CAN use them straight away but you may find you get some leaks and they wont last very long on! Depending on what type of nappy they are you may want to soak them overnight in a bucket and then put them through a few rinse cycles before using.
You can use nappy creams but you would want to use a fleece or disposable liner to protect the nappy. Nappy rash is rarer in cloth bum babies though so hopefully it wont be a problem for you.

Thanks so much! I've ordered a few ittis, blueberries, Tots bots, mini lala, And a fuzzibumz. I've got my eye on cushietushie next! It's so blimmin addictive already lol.
:happydance:

My name s Littlestar and i'm a cloth nappy addict!

Welcome to our world!

When I get a lot of new nappies, I stick them on a superwash (normal wash with more water/extra rinse) and then when finished I stick it on a quick wash straight after, then I dry and use them but make sure I change Chloe after about 2 hours, incase of leaks.

And it is SOOOOOOOOOO addictive! Good luck! xx

I often don't prewash if something is particularly gorgeous, but I do use a fleece liner in it because I don't know what chemicals have been used to make the fabric (don't want Leyla getting an irritated bum!) and some nappies shed a bit of fluff until washed (like little lamb bamboo ones). I just only leave the nappy on for half the time I would normally expect it to last until it's had a good few washes. If you've ordered quite a few to arrive at the same time though, it might be easiest just to put them through a wash or two and a few more rinses all at once to get it out of the way!

Prewashes as with clothes also just remove any fine fibres that may have been left on during the production line aswell as building up the absorbancy.

As AS said re creams; just use a liner if you need to use anything :thumbup:

Thank you all so much! Stupid question but do the liners come with them?? I've ordered a few all in ones, SIO, and a pocket. I also got a few boosters for the ittis. Sorry for all the questions and can't wait to post some piccies soon

Some do come with a liner, Little Lambs are the only ones I can think of though. Ittis don't. Anything lined with fleece probably wouldn't because the fleece acts as a built in liner anyway. If you want some cheaply, you can cut up a fleece blanket and it works really well. Lots of people do that! Or you can buy really pretty ones from places like weenotions.co.uk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->