A few worries I've been having

xsadiex

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I've planned a homebirth and my midwife is being very supportive.
I've had a few thoughts though...
1. What if baby stops breathing? (heard this is common)
2. What if I start hemorrhaging after the birth? (also heard this has killed a lot of women)

What do you guys think?
I will ask my midwife at my appointment tomorrow but thought I'd ask you guys too!! x

Re babies breathing - all midwives are trained in neonatal resuscitation and carry essential rescusitation equipment. In a normal labour and birth, it is quite uncommon for there to be any sort of breathing difficulties. Usually if there any concerns over babies wellbeing during labour, you would be transferred to hospital before the birth

Re you possibly having excessive bleeding - midwives carry drugs to encourage the uterus to contract, and can manually manipulate the uterus to help it contract as well. However, again, this is quite uncommon but if it was to occur then the midwives would be able to help you until the arrival of an ambulance

Hope that helps

xxx

If baby needs any resuscitating it can be done at home the same as it would in hospital - leaving the baby attached to the cord & placenta will ensure they are still getting oxygen from you and they can be given a little oxygen and some gentle stimulation form the MW right next to you. Most likely all they would need.

Bleeding after birth is common but if it gets to the pint it constitutes a hemorrhage then again it is dealt with in the same way as hospital - administration of an injection to try to get the uterus to contract and wait. If it continues transfer to hospital to investigate.

Hemorrhage seems to be in the headlines a bit at the moment, it being bad enough to kill someone is VERY rare indeed.

Not things to stop you having a HB

Thanks for your replies, I've never had a baby before so not too clued up.
Still happy with my choice of home birth, just want to weigh up risks etc.x

In an uncomplicated pregnancy a homebirth is as safe as a hospital one.

Plus you get the benefits of being in your own environment and labouring better as you are more relaxed so you'll be more likely to progress well needing fewer interventions and want less pain relief.

Think of it this way...would you worry about birthing in an MLU/Birth centre?

There's nothing that can be done in an MLU that cannot be done at home, the only difference is the venue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->