A good eater turned bad...:-( HELP

Fluxuspoem

Mama
Reaction score
Hi

Christina used to be such a good eater, cooked food, cereal, savoury sweet you name it.

Since about a week ago or two she progressively became so bad, that she wont even pick up the food with her hands. She actually refuses to eat almost everything and if she does eat she expects to be spoon fed! And she eats half hearted.. its really quite stressful.

There is nothign wrong with here,she went through a cold a month ago but she is perfectly healthy now , or appears to be so not sure what is going on....

Is it normal for toddlers around 18-20 months to go off their food? for how long? how did you work this out??!!

x

Is she teething? My son has been going through picky spells for the last few months on and off and it always seems to be when his gums are particularly bothering him.
x

Totally and utterly normal, sorry :(
My good eater turned bad about Christina's age. Ruby eats well some days but there is not a single food that you can guarantee she will eat - very hit and miss.

Thanks both so much.

Well I am relieved as at least I know now that its normal behaviour! I just felt a bit bad as I thought I was doing somethign wrong. We offer variety of things. She tends to eat mashed food easier, but not really crazy about anything.

Not sure if she is teethign she doesnt seem too, however her no 2s have been runny and usually that happens when she is teething. But this been going on for a while now, so I think Claire you are right, I think she is entering toddlerhood.. and this is unavoidable.

So if they dont eat much at all one day, what do you do? do they go hungry and awake in the night, or all goes normal as usual?

BY the way CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW PREGNANCY! AMAZING FANTASTIC NEWS !

X

I know its easier said than done but try not to worry about it. Don't make a big song and dance about it or you could start issues and make it worse for yourself.

We just tell monster that he gets no afters unless he eats his main. No big fuss, and if he eats it then he gets one and if he doesn't :shrug: just get on with it. He will eat when he's hungry. We found he'd have days of eating little then a day eating everything in sight :flower:

This is the 2nd day of Ethan barely eating anything - we think he has teeth coming through at the back as he is pointing to his mouth, crying and dribbling a lot. I really hope he gets through it soon it's so draining trying to get them to eat.

My 2.5 year old has recently started turning down loads of food he would previously love so I think its just a toddler thing! A bit annoying though throwing all that wasted food away!

Does she have her canines?
H is really bothered by hers, but it seems to come and go.
Her little pal is the same.

H loves her plates and cutlery, different foods and the way you go about eating them really give her a kick start when it comes to eating. Ridiculous what a new cup will do heh. Recently we started giving her a teaspoon or a big spoon just for the novelty of it getting her to eat more :haha:

Douglas is exactly the same, it's normal I think (after posting a similar thread about a week ago, lol!) He used to eat everything then cry for more. Now it varies day to day. I don't battle with him, if he really doesn't want to eat then I don't force it as i don't want to give him a complex about it. If he totally won't eat a meal, I clear it away and give him a break, then maybe give him a snack that I know he'll eat later on (he always eats banana and yoghurt).

ETA: he is getting frustrated, doesn't want to be spoon fed but can't quite do it himself yet, so I give him a spoon and he tries to eat with it while I feed him too. Doesn't always work but sometimes!

Yes, perfectly normal. Hannah did it at about the same age. With Hannah it was more of a power struggle. At that age there isn't much they can control in life - in fact eating is one of the only things they have complete control over. The best thing to do is to not make a fuss and if she doesn't want to eat what you are giving her then just let her get down from the table. Hannah soon realised that if she didn't eat then she went hungry. It lasted a few weeks until she was totally back to normal.

Obviously check to make sure there is no physical reason that she's not eating... for example teething or just generally feeling under the weather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->