A post about bleeding in 1st Trimester

Jetset

Reaction score
I was wondering whether the ladies who had experienced bleeding in the 1st trimester would mind giving an account of it for others to look at. It may give people a little bit of an idea what is acceptable and what to expect.

For example...

When did you start bleeding?

How heavy was the bleeding?

What consistency was it (ie. were there clots / was it bitty / was it watery)

How long did it last?

What colour was the bleeding?

Any other information would be greatly received.

Hi, I think this is a great idea, I had some bleeding and it totally freaked me out so I'll share my story.

The bleeding started for me at 5 weeks and 3 days, heavy enough to leak through my underwear (sorry if tmi) and definitely bright red, I also had a small clot on this day. I didn't have any cramping whatsoever though. Naturally, I freaked out as I've heard red blood is bad so I went to EPU and got scanned at 5+5 and they saw gest sac and yolk sac but they still didn't know which way it would go.

I then had spotting from 5+5 until 6+3 so it lasted about a week but now it was brown and only on the toilet paper when I wiped. Had a scan at 6+3 and saw my lil bean along with a nice heartbeat.

In my case they couldn't find any reason for the bleeding. And it goes to show that not all bleeding has to be bad or have a negative outcome but should always be checked out!

I hope my story will help some ladies out there who are worried about bleeding!

i posted my story on another ladies thread but i started bleeding lightly when i wiped after the bathroom and a bit on my underware light brown in color, went to the maternity hopsital where they checked me over gave me an internal scan i was 5weeks + 2days and they just saw the pregnancy sac where it should be the bleed ing stopped in the hospital n had none until a tiny bit of brown/yellow discharge with a bit of white thrown in for good measure on my underware, nothing when i wipe, last night again i called the maternity n they said that just to rest n observe it, going for my 7 week scan friday so hopefully will see my bean bouncing away all going well, have the normal cramps every now n then, no bleeding at all since that little bit last night,

Gladly....

4 weeks- the day my period was due i had a bright red bleed. Assumed it was my period but it last 5 hours and then went completly.. tested and it was possitive...

5 weeks- i bled dark brown with pains.. had scan meassured 6 weeks and had a h/b

7 weeks- bled dark red everytime i was on my feet for longer than 4 hours.. had scan baby was measuring 8+5 baby was perfect

9 weeks- bled heavily dark red, odd bright red streak. lasted 5 days had pains, was convinced it was over. had a scan baby was perfect.

10 weeks- had a small bleed after internal but settled and baby was still growing perfect.

that was the last.. touch wood.

I bled at just over 4 weeks after sex which was bright red, had turned brown by morning and then stopped. I did nothing about it despite being worried sick just put it down to sex and tried not to worry. I also had brown spotting between weeks six and seven, really light brown quite watery no clots or anything, with occasional mild cramps. I had a scan at 6 and 7 weeks and everything was fine both times saw and heard heartbeat on second scan. The bleeding was unexplained. I have had nothing since then, so fingers crossed when i have my 12 week scan everything will still be fine xx

I started with brown discharge at 5+2 which went on for 2days. rang EPU had a scan, gest sac and yolk sac was seen but nothing else. The next day i started bleeding heavily (red like AF with bits in almost like little threads ) sorry for TMI i bled for a week then it turned black like tar which lasted for 2days. I was examined by a doctor in A+E who confirmed a MC :cry: i cried for days. I was booked in 4 a scan to check i didnt need a DnC 10 days later. I went expecting the worst but there was my little bean with a HB :cloud9:

My *bean* is now 15weeks old and asleep in my arms now.

Chrissie xx

With my first child I had some brown spotting around 8-9 weeks that lasted a couple days and went away and that is it.

With my second child I was 11w 5d and I had bright red HEAVY bleeding. It was soaking through a pad in 20 minutes so I went to the
ER and they did a scan and the baby was fine and they had no idea why I was bleeding. I continued with the heavy blood with clots for about a week then for the next 10 weeks it varied between brown spotting and pink/red light bleeding. I went on to have a healthy baby boy and still have no idea what caused that.

This is all excellent... Thank you!

I will not put my experiences on until i know the outcome next Monday. A whole week to wait is very difficult. I phoned the emu this afternoon and they have told me to rest as my brown bleeding gets worse after working my horses.

This is all excellent... Thank you!

I will not put my experiences on until i know the outcome next Monday. A whole week to wait is very difficult. I phoned the emu this afternoon and they have told me to rest as my brown bleeding gets worse after working my horses.

I hope all is ok :hugs:
I remember the waiting,it was the hardest few days of my life xx

I experienced some sort of bleeding from weeks 6-8. It started a day after my first appointment with a gynecologist and after having a vaginal ultrasound. This could have been what started it all although I'm still not sure to this day. Anyway, after having gone to the bathroom I noticed some dark brown blood (or discharge?) along with a a little red blood. I also noticed some very small dark pieces, kind of like pepper, in the toilet. I was of course alarmed and thought the worst. After having googled what happened I was almost sure I was losing my baby. :( My husband also googled and found out it could be a result of the stretching uterus. Well, I waited it out for a couple weeks while having on-and-off dark/light brown bleeding/discharge (was never heavy). When the blood was dark brown the consistency was thicker and when light brown the consistency was more watery. I couldn't stand living in the uncertainty any longer so got another appointment at 8 weeks. Turned out baby was doing fine, measuring well, heart beating away.. :) After that the brown blood completely stopped and there was just some light brown discharge for some days. Since week 9 the only discharge I've had has been clear or a light yellow color. After that experience I find it's safe to say not all bleeding automatically means the baby is being lost. I was told by the gynecologist that while bleeding isn't considered the norm in pregnancy, it can and does happen fairly often. The reasons vary but I think in most cases it has to do with the body, which is rapidly changing to support the growing baby.

When did you start bleeding?
At 6 weeks

How heavy was the bleeding?
At first just brown discharge but the next day was some brown blood, not too much like a period but enough to scare me!

What consistency was it (ie. were there clots / was it bitty / was it watery)
Watery

How long did it last?
Only a few days

What colour was the bleeding?
Brown

I was so scared it was the end but once it ended everything was fine it happened the day after dtd, but dtd lots since and all has been well, so bleeding isnt always bad!!

Did any of you ladies have mild cramping?

I know people say severe cramping is not good, but so many people seem to have mild AF type cramping or some pulling at this stage anyway. Has anyone had some bleeding and mild cramping?

I have had cramping in the first trimester with all 3 of my pregnancies. It was a lot more mild than AF cramps but same type

I had cramping and bad backache during my bleeding. i remember i rang EPU and they told me to take paracetamol :hugs:

I have had three episodes of mainly brown spotting - all has turned out well so far x
My first was 4wks 1 day, pinky brown for a day, then for the next 9 days it was only brown, sometimes thick and dark, sometimes light and watery, sometimes more yellow with brown stringy bits (tmi). This went on for 10 days in total. During this time I had strong at cramps- both in my back and stomach. As I'd had a previous loss, and experienced this then, I was totally convinced the pregnancy was over. Had a scan at 5wks 6 days, spotting had stopped by then, but only gestational and yolk sacks seen.
I had another episode of the same brown spotting at 7 weeks, lasted for 5 days. Scan at 8 weeks showed perfect kidney bean with heartbeat! :)
Had one more episode of the same spotting at 9wks, lasted 4 days. Had another scan at 11 weeks at my booking in spot and all was fine, and had my nt scan last Thursday, was 13wks 2 days, and all is fine! Had no spotting since, and have had the 'normal' mild cramping on and off throughout. Nothing as severe as I had with the first lot of spotting. Sorry for the long post, hope this is semi-reassuring. The waiting and being in limbo is hell, fingers crossed all is ok for u too at ur scan xx

I had bright red bleeding accompanied by low down period type cramps at 4 + 3. Assumed it was a miscarriage but the bleeding and pain only lasted a few hours. Didn't have any clots but it was thick red blood. Went to the docs who arranged for me to be seen at EPU. They only scan at 6 weeks so I had an agonising fortnight. All fine (luckily) at scan and we saw a little heartbeat. Midwife said it could have been the embryo bedding into my uterus. Still paranoid something will go wrong but fingers crossed it'll be a sticky one. Good luck if you have bleeding - we all understand how scary it is x

I currently have the feeling AF is going to arrive, very heavy feeling and crampy/achy. I'm 10+4 and today had some brown blood a couple of times when i wiped, and if i push down hard. Got appt with Midwife on wed so will discuss it then, not much they can do before i guess either way.

Thanks again for sharing... I hope this will be helpful for other 1st trimester ladies!

I have a good story and a bad story.

Bad story:
At 9 weeks 5 days I was shopping and suddenly had EXTREME cramping, so bad that I was doubled over the shopping trolley and leaning on it for support. I walked out to the car, still doubled over and in pain and just clutching my abdomen. After about 15mins of this, it stopped. And I felt instantly better. I went home and carried on as normal.
A week later I had very light brown spotting when I wiped. Throughout the day it got darker and thicker almost slimy mud-like. I went to the docs who did a scan and said I had a missed miscarriage and baby had died at 9 weeks 5 days :cry:.

Good story:
At 6weeks 3days I had some pink tinged cervical mucus which was there everytime I wiped so went for emergency scan. They said baby was fine and there was a small dark area under the gestational sac that the bleed may have come from and not to worry. At 7 weeks 4 days, brown blood that kept leaking out when I was walking, back for a scan, baby was still fine but the bleed ( also known as a subchronic hematoma) was a little bigger hence more blood leaking. Apparantley its from baby implanting deeper into my uterus and making it bleed a little. But still, nothing to worry about. Have been advised to keep an eye on it in case it gets bigger or disrupts babys development later on.

Have another scan booked tomoro!

Yes, I forgot to mention I had cramping accompanied by some brown blood. I felt like I'd get my period any day even before I took a pregnancy test, thus finding out later. The cramping didn't go away until week 7 or 8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->