a question about drinks and accidents at school.

DCS

Reaction score
I'm not sure how it works as Ds is my bigger kid so I apologise if these r stupid questions.

I send him in with a bottle of water in his bag everyday. He never drinks from it. as soon as he finishes he gulps the entire bottle and drinks another 2 or 3 bottles before bed. Are they not allowed to keep water bottles out? He says he sometimes has milk and has water with his lunch. But I think it's a long time to go without a drink. Especially since he is so thirsty when he gets home. He is in reception. Do they generally have access to water? This is also an issue because his pull ups are leaking in the night and I'm not sure if this is because he is drinking lots before bed. Which is obviously resulting in him waking and not getting a full nights sleep.
On the way home today he cried the whole way. I forgot to pack his drink and he said he felt funny and couldn't walk.

Secondly, he had an accident again today. But the teacher didn't tell me. It's only because I get his drink out that I noticed a bag with his boxers and trousers in. He had an accident last Wednesday aswell. I don't obviously want this to be a regular thing but surely they should have mentioned it.

I'm going to have a word with his teacher tomorrow but she wasn't in today, but his usual classroom assistants were in. And she is the lady who he told when he had his accident. I dislike this lady because she told him last year he shouldn't have gone into school if he wasn't well. She saw me at puck up time and spoke to me but didnt say amything to me . Just to DS. This obviously upset him and he cried at bedtime. He was fine the day he went in, just recovering from a bug but had been clear of it a couple days. He is generally very tired midweek. I don't know if I'm over reacting I don't want to go in annoyed if it's normal.

The school I teach in actively encourages children to have water bottles and when I last had my own class the children were given time after each break to have a drink from their water bottle or go to the water fountain. My sons school also has access to water and milk throughout the day

Also my son occasionally had accidents at preschool but cleaned himself up without telling the teacher, has your child maybe done that and not mentioned it to the teacher?

My daughters class all bring their water bottles in and they are put in a box at the side of the classroom. She says she sometimes has a drink in class so they must be allowed to have a drink at certain times or help themselves (im not sure how they do it) I always send a drink in for her lunch seperately, usually a carton of fruit juice (even if she is school lunch, she still takes her drink)

Louis takes a water bottle to school where they have a crate for them all in the class and they can have a drink whenever they want throughout the day. Quite often he's not drunk any but the teaching assistant has told me he drinks plenty of water at lunch.

We send water bottles in here and the kids keep them on their desk so they can have a drink whenever they want. They also have access to the water fountain and can refill their bottles.

Arghhhhh I thought it would be something like this. I know they have fruit and milk out all day for the kids to help themselves. But ds isn't the type of kid to just go up and help himself. 1. He is a bit shy despite coming across as confident and crazy little dude. He once went know a trip and couldn't open his water bottle so didn't ask for help. He just went without. I keep telling him to ask if he isn't sure but he doesn't like to ask for help much. 2. He would be worried about missing out on fun with his friends.
He has school lunches and a food diary for the sake of his dietition so his lunch gets logged and sometimes it doesn't even say water at lunch so I don't even know if he is drinking anything.

He said he told 3 teachers that were together and one told him to go in and get cleaned up and she would get him a bag for his wet stuff. It's strange because he has been using the toilet for almost 2 years now. And didn't have any accidents in nursery. I only packed him a spare pair of pants and trousers because he had a cold last week and when he has a cold and is extra tired he will have the odd accident. But now just feel like I should keep packing them.

I might send him in with an apple tomorrow, and ask about the drink. I hate to be THAT annoying parent who is constantly pestering the teacher. They said in a meeting last year that if LO'S had more than 2/3 accidents they would be calling the parent jn to change the child. Which is fair enough I guess but it shouldn't be happening because he can use the toilet.
He also mentioned he was afraid of the toilets. So maybe he is avoiding going. May just be a coincidence that it's happened on the same day.

Teacher here...we allow our students to keep their water bottles on their desk. Sometimes they do play with them, but not that often. I think you should contact his teacher and say that you'd like to be told when he has accidents. Also, let her know that he's really thirsty in the evening, and ask if he's allowed to drink when he is thirsty during the day...ask where the kids keep their water.

It's SO important imo for kids to stay hydrated. I think it's silly to not let them keep them at their desk. I've found that even with five year olds, if you teach them not to play with their bottles, and tell them they can't keep them at their desks if they play with them, they WON'T play with them and everyone will have one at their desk with no classroom/instruction time interuptions.

Going back to your lo's accident I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to tell a parent about an accident unless it was becoming a regular occurrence or there was something that gave cause for concern.

My lo is completely potty trained at home but had loads of accidents at preschool. They said he was too excited playing to go but I genuinely couldn't picture that so I never got to the bottom of it. I'd speak to the teacher if your really concerned, he's your son your entitled to help him settle in to his new classroom if he needs it

So, I had a word with the teacher who was in today. She said they could leave drinks on the table with the fruit and milk. And said maybe the fact that his accidents have been on the day when his teacher isn't in is because he isn't feeling confident enough to ask to go to the toilet. Which does sound like my DS.

I also had a word with DS this morning and asked about it all. He said he didn't realise he needed to go. Which happens when he is too busy playing.
I mentioned fruit and milk to him and reminded him he could help, himself and he said " oh, I didn't realise I could just help myself, I thought I had to wait. Can I help myself when the teachers are there? Or when they are out the room?" I'm guessing he wasn't too clear on what was going on.

Thanks. I'm glad I got that sorted.

I'm glad you got it cleared up!

I am that parent but I would rather ask or write in his book than worry about it. We have different situation right now. Thomas is in a unit his class has 8 children. At lunch his teacher says he is puqhing, hitting etc other kids but is fine in class. What They failed to tell me is at lunch he goes into a playground with 30+ children. For a child who doesn't know how to socially interact and has a class size of 8 that is a massive difference. He pushes and pulls his cousins because he can't say play with me so I suspect that is what's happening but I also feel he is getting too excited, doesn't know how to deal with it and it comes out in aggression. I will speaking to his teacher today.

My DS hated the big playground. He said all the other kids scared him. And I get it. A bunch of 10 year old running around 4 year old is bound to be scarey. I hope you get it sorted soon.

We had an empty water bottle today and he managed to cycle all the way home. Which is way better than the last 3 weeks when he has knly made it halfway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->