A question....

BethMaassen

Mom to 2 Princesses
Reaction score
This is probably something I should not be dwelling on. But I suddenly started thinking about something today, That I had pushed out of my memory.

About a year before I conceived my daughter (conceived July 2013) I am not sure when it was exactly , but I am sure I could track down that information. Anyway.

We were trying to conceive, and one month I was 18 days late, I don't remember actually testing, because AF was often pretty irregular, I think I was starting to get suspicious... 18 days late and finally it came. SO I thought, but it was to date the heaviest and most painful period I had. It was so bad, I wound up in the ER.. The checked me over, and they thought I was miscarried, but could find no proof there was a pregnancy. So the ER staff left it at"Well, we don't know"and set me off. When I got home, my mother was convinced that it was in fact a miscarriage (she has had 7 of them) I have not been so convinced.

Then we come today. I am 17 weeks pregnant with baby #2 and all I can wonder is if it in fact a miscarriage? Is it even possible? I really don't think it is, but I can't seem to stop driving myself crazy about it.

It sure sounds like it could have been, my only other guess is maybe you could have passed a kidney stone but it sounds very well like you could have had a mc, the only thing that would make me question is if af was 18 day late then you couldn't have been more than 3-4 weeks right? I'm terrible with dates/math, when I had my first mc, it was an early one, I was only 5-6 weeks pregnant, it was a little more painful than my normal period but nothing excruciating, howeve when I had a missed miscarriage I was about 10 weeks which is still early but the cramping felt like labor pain, it was pretty bad but I think there's different factors like pain tolerance, how far along you were and how many labors you've had.

Right. I think if it were a mc. I would have been 6-7 weeks. Because I was 18 days late.
I was pretty use to painful periods. They were always so bad. But usually some heavy duty painkiller and a hot soak would make it go away. This particular time. Nothing made it stop. Now, I have the experience of labor since then, and I can honestly say it was up there pain wise. Not exactly that painful, but close. But then of course the bleeding was so heavy. I would bleed through "super size" tampons in no more than 20 minutes.,, It was horrible..

But I am still not too convinced it was a MC.

Well it's possible it could have been then, told you I was terrible with math/dates, the other determining factor I would wonder about is how long you bled for? Although even that doesn't necessarily give a clear answer either, as with my first mc, I bled heavier than normal but it wasn't more than maybe a typical period, however with my last miscarriage although it was a little different (maybe because it was a missed miscarriage) but I ended up bleeding for altogether around 3 weeks...

I think I bled closer to 2 weeks. where my normal is 4-5 days.

I don't have any actual help, but I can relate. I've wondered this as well. My ex and I tried for almost a year, and there were a couple of times when my period was up to 10 days late, then came roaring in like a lion. I assumed it was worse because it was late. But who knows? But you are 17 weeks now, you are pretty much in the clear with this sweet baby.

I think I bled closer to 2 weeks. where my normal is 4-5 days.

Well based on the very late af, the pain you had and the amount of time you bled for, if I had to put money on it, I'd say you probably had a mc...so many women miscarry without even knowing it, it sounds like you probably had one...I also think I had an early mc before my missed miscarriage, I never got a positive but my af was pretty late that month and much heavier than normal.

I don't have any actual help, but I can relate. I've wondered this as well. My ex and I tried for almost a year, and there were a couple of times when my period was up to 10 days late, then came roaring in like a lion. I assumed it was worse because it was late. But who knows? But you are 17 weeks now, you are pretty much in the clear with this sweet baby.

Yeah after my trip to the ER and being told they thought it was a MC, but there was no actual sign of a pregnancy, I assumed it was just that. Horrible because it was so late.

Well based on the very late af, the pain you had and the amount of time you bled for, if I had to put money on it, I'd say you probably had a mc...so many women miscarry without even knowing it, it sounds like you probably had one...I also think I had an early mc before my missed miscarriage, I never got a positive but my af was pretty late that month and much heavier than normal.

I suppose it is possible. I just do not know why it is bothering me so much now.

Because you are a mom and the the thought of a child that you may have lost is still troubling/hurtful...even though I'm not sure if I miscarried before my mmc, I still felt hurt that I possibly lost another child that could have been...I also think not having confirmation and knowing for sure makes it difficult as well. :hugs:

Because you are a mom and the the thought of a child that you may have lost is still troubling/hurtful...even though I'm not sure if I miscarried before my mmc, I still felt hurt that I possibly lost another child that could have been...I also think not having confirmation and knowing for sure makes it difficult as well. :hugs:

That makes a lot of sense actually. Thank you for helping me sort this :hugs:

Did they not do a blood draw at the hospital?

I had a MC at 8 wks, I was bleeding so much (with giant clots) that every time I moved or stood up it gushed out. There was no mistaking it for a regular period. However everyone is different, I think whatever ur instincts tell u is probably correct

I had a MC at 9 weeks and some change, bled for a total of two weeks. Had several scans during the bleeding that revealed baby and heartbeat and no known cause for bleeding and then another scan right before Christmas that ascertained the baby had died and I wound up passing everything naturally that night. The bleeding was heavy, nothing that soaked through a pad or anything, but definitely heavy and had a ton of clots. Wound up passing the sac, placenta, everything and it was all very visible and very certain of what it was.

Now... If it was a missed MC or blighted ovum or something, chances are there would have been very little to no tissue but a yes to bleeding. You also could have had a ruptured cyst you never knew about. The one time I had a ruptured cyst, I was convinced I was going to die from the pain and the bleeding.

My thoughts are this... Don't dwell on the negative. Embrace the positive and know that at 17 weeks you're very much off in the green with this pregnancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->