A week old baby killed by a Jack Russel

You're right patch, thank you for making me understand. I guess I look at it from the point of view of a Mummy who has buried her children and I cant help but think that I live with these questions about myself every day (could I of done more, what if I had done this etc etc) so I think it must be a million times harder when it seems the whole world is asking those questions about you too. Emotive for me for a different reason to most I guess.

Yeah because it is that simple isnt it? Every new mum has £1k lying round for the deposit and rent on a house, dont they?

The life of a child is more important, I would move in with friends, find the cheapest place available, DO ANYTHING to get my newborn baby away from a dog that has potential for harm.

And the conclusion that it was aggressive has been reached because it ripped the eye from a teddy (could of been playing) and the fact it barked and jumped up when someone tried to put a christmas cardthrough last year. Well if the barking and jumping up equals aggression then qabout 80% of dogs on the postround are aggressive.

Yes, as far as canines are concerned and in my breeding experience, attacking and ripping apart a toy is a sure sign of latent aggression, the dog, if left to do this on a regular basis and not trained to stop, will not differentiate between a toy and a small baby, which is exactly what happened. And jumping up and trying to bite the hand of someone posting a letter is extremely aggressive behaviour and the sign of a completely uncontrolled and undisciplined dog. And a big, huge NO to your premise that 80% of dogs do this, they do not. My friends dogs which are trained for disabled children, obviously do not. So I'm getting pretty fed up on here with people coming out with ludicrous comments on the behaviour of these animals.

I wasnt going to mention this on here, but I've posted quite a few posts now and it saddens me how people are just defending the actions of irresponsible human beings. I also volunteer for the RSPCA and The Dogs Trust (Canine Defence league) and at present do you know whats happening? tons of people are dumping Jack Russells on our doorstep and many of them are being euthanised because there is no capacity for them. So before people get on their soap box and say poor parents, they are not to blame. Not only are they negligent with a little child but the result is that dogs all across the country, which have had loving homes all their life and have never hurt anyone are being put down and dumped, no longer wanted because they know believe Jack Russells are dangerous. :growlmad:

I really dont think I can say much more on this thread as I am getting quite angry and emotional about it now as it is too close to home for me and my profession and I also have a 6 month old, so I'm bowing out.

Peace and love to the most beautiful little Harry, a needless death.

The life of a child is more important, I would move in with friends, find the cheapest place available, DO ANYTHING to get my newborn baby away from a dog that has potential for harm.

Yes, as far as canines are concerned and in my breeding experience, attacking and ripping apart a toy is a sure sign of latent aggression, the dog, if left to do this on a regular basis and not trained to stop, will not differentiate between a toy and a small baby, which is exactly what happened. And jumping up and trying to bite the hand of someone posting a letter is extremely aggressive behaviour and the sign of a completely uncontrolled and undisciplined dog. And a big, huge NO to your premise that 80% of dogs do this, they do not. My friends dogs which are trained for disabled children, obviously do not. So I'm getting pretty fed up on here with people coming out with ludicrous comments on the behaviour of these animals.

I wasnt going to mention this on here, but I've posted quite a few posts now and it saddens me how people are just defending the actions of irresponsible human beings. I also volunteer for the RSPCA and The Dogs Trust (Canine Defence league) and at present do you know whats happening? tons of people are dumping Jack Russells on our doorstep and many of them are being euthanised because there is no capacity for them. So before people get on their soap box and say poor parents, they are not to blame. Not only are they negligent with a little child but the result is that dogs all across the country, which have had loving homes all their life and have never hurt anyone are being put down and dumped, no longer wanted because they know believe Jack Russells are dangerous. :growlmad:

I really dont think I can say much more on this thread as I am getting quite angry and emotional about it now as it is too close to home for me and my profession and I also have a 6 month old, so I'm bowing out.

Peace and love to the most beautiful little Harry, a needless death.

Well I have been in a position where I had ZERO money to move out, I didnt have friends as they all left when I got pregnant as a teenager, it isnt all that uncommon either.

Ripping up a toy CAN be playful, and the reporting of that was total rubbish any way, it did NOT attack and rip the toy to shreds as first claimed, but pulled out the eye, who is to say it wasnt loose any way?

I did not say 80% of dogs do it, did I? Read it again!!! I said 80% of the dogs on the post round did it, and yes that is a FACT. Pretty sure I was the one that did the post round. So no it isnt ludicrous as you state, it is me saying that happened on my round. Now if I had said 80% of dogs do this, then you would of been right but I did not.

Lets not forget that a dog can bark and jump at a letter box without trying t bite. The bark can make people anxious and therefore feel threatened and they FEEL like it is going to try to bite, but that doesnt mean it was. I hate that it is being taken as fact that this dog tried to bite because one person claims it did.

Yes I am upset too. I have buried my children and every time I read a thread that goes like this (where the parent MUST be to blame) it kills me inside, it is the worst feeling in the world not just they burying your child/ren but the guilt that comes with your child dying. I would or wouldnt of done this, she was to blame etc are all horrid IMO. No one knows what exactly happened.

You're right patch, thank you for making me understand. I guess I look at it from the point of view of a Mummy who has buried her children and I cant help but think that I live with these questions about myself every day (could I of done more, what if I had done this etc etc) so I think it must be a million times harder when it seems the whole world is asking those questions about you too. Emotive for me for a different reason to most I guess.

Oh absolutely. I can't imagine what the mother is feeling about all this. Although why these stories are particularly well publicised I'm not sure. I can't see who it helps, really. There are tragic accidents every day, but not all of them make the headlines. Dog attack stories sell papers, but that doesn't mean it's one of the biggest dangers to most children out there.

Funny enough, I literally just had to save my dog from my upstairs neighbour's JRT. She's a vicious little thing, I can't stand her (the dog). Which sounds awful I'm sure because I am an animal - especially dogs - lover in such a crazy way... but when this thing is snarling and going for my shih tzu's neck I'm gonna lose it. :growlmad:

Luckily I always use a harness when walking Gizmo so I was able to yank on the leash and get him up into my arms.

The owner was all "Ohh... ha ha ha. She has her bad days, she's normally really good". LIES. I've never seen this thing be anything other than snarly. Sorry, needed a rant to get that out, I'm still fuming over her dog attacking mine. Gizmo is fine aside from being scared the poor thing. He's sitting beside me on the couch right now shaking. :(

As for the topic... I dunno. I don't personally think its cut and dry as just to move somewhere else. We don't really know the full story iykwim? Like why she was living with the grandparents etc. It is easy to blame the parents/grandparents though, especially when it comes to animal attacks.

I feel horrid for them though, what a nightmare. I'm sure they are thinking right now all the things we're saying as well, but its so much worse for them as they have live it.

No amounts of "what ifs" or "should haves" will bring this baby back.

Makes me so so sad.

Even more so to see the family judged by "strangers".

It breaks my heart to think of the pain that beautiful baby was in and the thought of mine being in that position makes my heart pull at the thought of how that mam must b feeling right now. Im sure she thinks what if or i should have but right now shes grieving and going through pure hell. Thats something that only those who have lost a baby will ever understand. I have never lost a baby that ive gave birth to, held, smelled, felt an overwhelming urge to love and protect. Some people here have and i honestly take my hat off to them for getting up and carrying on everyday as that takes a strength thats fiund from far within. Lets have some respect and wish this mother some peace.

Tasha :hugs:

I am totally with you on this one. It's insane that people are picking apart the smallest details and saying "I would have done that differently". I actually commented in another thread here recently about how I would've done something differently, and I'm now seeing how it was a bit inappropriate.

You just cannot know what you would do in a situation that you have never been in and hope to never be in.

What's the point in blaming anyone? It's already happened. Say they were being irresponsible all you want but who is that helping?? I'm sure they already feel TERRIBLE. I'm sure they blame themselves already and will for the rest of their lives. Give it a rest.

I've read that the dog escaped from the kitchen and a gate so that shows they did try keep the dog away :(

Tasha :hugs:

I am totally with you on this one. It's insane that people are picking apart the smallest details and saying "I would have done that differently". I actually commented in another thread here recently about how I would've done something differently, and I'm now seeing how it was a bit inappropriate.

You just cannot know what you would do in a situation that you have never been in and hope to never be in.

What's the point in blaming anyone? It's already happened. Say they were being irresponsible all you want but who is that helping?? I'm sure they already feel TERRIBLE. I'm sure they blame themselves already and will for the rest of their lives. Give it a rest.

I agree with that for sure. :( I'm sure even the nastiest thing that someone else could come up with in regards to what happened won't even come close to the blame that they're probably already feeling themselves.

Its always easy to turn around and think what one would have done in the situation had they been in it, but unless it actually happens we don't know for sure. :hugs:

how tragic! even if it is a treasured pet, no animal can be 100%trusted. and from not being watched properly, a baby is dead and dog put down. its so sad. the dog shouldnt have been left with the baby, and shoyldve gotten help if it was "vicious". if the owner was a respinsible pet owner this woyld never have happenned.

how tragic! even if it is a treasured pet, no animal can be 100%trusted. and from not being watched properly, a baby is dead and dog put down. its so sad. the dog shouldnt have been left with the baby, and shoyldve gotten help if it was "vicious". if the owner was a respinsible pet owner this woyld never have happenned.

The dog wasnt left alone with the baby. It escaped the kitchen where it was closed in

A dog ripping up a toy is not IMO an aggressive act!

I agree! You give my Labrador a teddy he shakes his head side to side and paws all over it and he can get the squeaker out of a toy in minutes.Its how dogs play.

A stable dog understands the difference between a toy and a child. The same way a adult dog will accept behavior from a puppy that it wouldn't accept from a another adult dog

This is so sad :cry: I hate when I see photos on facebook of tiny babies with dogs. You can never fully predict behaviour. My friends dog had a brain tumour that made it go mad and attack her younger brother, luckily he was old enough to run away. My heart breaks for the family. I hope that it causes people to be more careful with animals around babies.

This is so sad :cry: I hate when I see photos on facebook of tiny babies with dogs. You can never fully predict behaviour. My friends dog had a brain tumour that made it go mad and attack her younger brother, luckily he was old enough to run away. My heart breaks for the family. I hope that it causes people to be more careful with animals around babies.

My mum had that happen with a lab, it just turned one day and she locked herself in the bathroom and had to climb out the window way before I was Ever on the scene. But yeah, you can't ever 100% trust a dog and I think most owners know that. But that sort of circumstance is very rare, you can't prevent against everything, a plane can be hijacked and flown into two tower blocks, who could ever have predicted that?

We try our best to prevent, but accept we can't know what will happen, sounds like this case with this poor baby, the owners did the best they could, the could not have known and there was not clear indicators.

Sometimes horror like this happens, and for us outsides with hindsight there are things we can maybe learn, but the reality is we can't prevent everything. We can just do our best.

Btw this whole post wasn't aimed at you, just wanted to highlight my mums similar experience. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->