A1c and gestational diabetes

jlw617

Mom to 2 girls
Reaction score
Ok I'll spare you all the backstory but I just had my a1c results come back and they were normal, has anyone had normal a1c results and still later go on to have gestational diabetes? I love my new midwife and she is going to have me monitor my sugars once I'm 16 weeks and then again at 28 weeks as opposed to the nasty glucola test just to be safe but right now she doesn't feel I'm super high risk for it, just wondering what your experience was...

Bot sure was an AC1 test is, but didn't I see somewhere that you had it with previous pregnancies? If that is the case, I think you're doing the right thing being cautious. I know it usually develops around 28 weeks and that is why they test at 28 weeks. So I would think there is still a change you can have it. I would just avoid heavy sugars and starchy things until then.

Bot sure was an AC1 test is, but didn't I see somewhere that you had it with previous pregnancies? If that is the case, I think you're doing the right thing being cautious. I know it usually develops around 28 weeks and that is why they test at 28 weeks. So I would think there is still a change you can have it. I would just avoid heavy sugars and starchy things until then.

Nope never had it before ;) a1c tests your sugars for the last 3 months, I'm being cautious just because they want to be on the safe side since I did have a higher number with the normal blood glucose test...

Hate to be the bearer of (potentially) bad news again, but my A1C was totally normal (4.9) WHILE I had GD. Again, the a1c is the average of the last 3 months, so it won't tell you much if you've had GD for a shorter time than that.

I have GD but very well controlled and my sugars have never got out of control. I've had 2 HBa1c tests since 17 weeks - with results of 5 and 4.9.

I haven't done the glucose test in this pregnancy or my second pregnancy. I just monitor myself and record my results.

MHK425-Haha thanks! No worries, I'm actually treating myself as if I do have it however I do think my midwife has helped me to feel a lot better about it and I think her approach is better than my previous ob, I'm glad she was open to letting me text my sugars with a monitor rather than forcing me to do the glucola.

Amelie, btw I love your name! Thanks this is also what I plan on doing instead of the glucola nastiness ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->