Aaaargh need a rant

cupcake.

Reaction score
Okay, this is pretty much the most pointless thread but i really do need to rant.

Today we had my DDs 12 month check up - which was all fine. She‘s not standing yet but dr wasn‘t worried as she‘s pulling up on her knees and crawling just fine.

She‘s a big tall baby girl, 12,8kg and 83 cm (so roughly 28lbs and 32 inches). I‘ve gotten tons of comments about her weight in the past but my doctor didn‘t say anything as she‘s growing along her line and looks proportional. But still it‘s sometimes a bit of a soft spot for me when people comment about how chubby and big she is.

Anyway, so i shared her measurements as an instagram story, because I‘m connected to tons of other moms with babies her age on there and well i‘m a proud mom who loves to share stuff about her baby like most of us haha

I then got a message from one of my friends (my age, nowhere near being ready to have a child, no babies in her family or friend circle other than mine. Basically has no idea about baby development. Not that that‘s a bad thing, it‘s not something that‘s very relevant to her life right now so why would she know about percentiles and such, it‘s normal not to know about that when kids are still far in the future) and she was like „wow 13 kg, she sure is a big baby you‘re like lifting weight everyday“. And i thought it was funny which i mean it is funny and yes i totally count carrying her around a workout :rofl: so i was like „haha i know right and 83cm, she‘s gigantic, she‘ll be taller than me by the time she starts kindergarten“ and then my friend was like „but that‘s not that tall at all“
I was like „uhm yes it actually is for a girl her age she‘s super tall“ and she still insisted that she „heard differently“ and even started to get annoyed when i sent her a picture of the centiles and where she‘s at and explained to her that pretty much 97% of baby girls her age are smaller. She actually kept on insisting that she had heard differently and just „agree to disagree“ ... :saywhat: :huh:

It definitely bugs me more than it should, and to be fair i gotta admire the confidence to be so obviously wrong and try to tell a mother that just came back from a check up for her baby that she‘s wrong and her pediatritian must be wrong too because she „heard differently“ haha okay then, next time she‘s sick i‘ll just go see you instead, you obviously know more than my pediatritian or any pediatritian that ever used the centile curves to evaluate how a child‘s growth compares to other children.

Okay i‘m done now.. for everyone who read through it all, i‘m sorry for rambling on like that. But if anyone ever needs advice regarding their babies, don‘t trust your doctors, i‘ll just give you my friends number :dohh: :dohh: :rofl:

Hahahaha I love these people who think they know everything when they actually know nothing ! I think you handled it well I would have been totally arsey lol

I once had a friend try and tell me that DD2 is allergic to lactose and not milk protein. That conversation didn't end too well I get way too annoyed and frustrated !

I think some part of them just wants to be involved even if they are wrong just be to included lol

There are people who think they know everything and then there are us - the parents of the children. If your doctor hasn't raised any alarm bells then keep going as you are as you have no reason for concern - and you sure as Hell have no reason to explain your daughter's development to someone who thinks they know what they are on about. My first baby was a big boy. He was in 1 year old clothing at 6 months. And now, at almost 10, he's about 65kg. Yes, he needs to loose about 20kg but for him, if he doesn't fall below 45kg I'm not overly worried. For a big child, he is extremely active with Karate 2 nights a week and sports activities 2 nights as well.

My youngest is a tiny dot. At 12 months he's just hit 10kg. But he like his older brother is within the targets for his weight.

If it helps, I had a friend who's daughter has just turned 3. If you didn't know her personally you could easily mistaken her for a 5 year old. She's averaging a 6 year old's clothing. She's not chunky by any means - just VERY tall and like your little girl, towers over other children her age. Honestly, those charts are just an AVERAGE.

Thanks for your input ladies. I did get frustrated but i usually try to avoid conflict especially when it‘s over something so ridiculous.

I just will never be able to understand how some people really act like they know everything about everything. Before having my daughter i would have had no idea how tall 12 month olds are. But obviously even besides the centiles, i SEE other children, her age and older haha

And i‘m really not worried. My OH is quite tall and we were both big babies weight wise - i was definitely a lot less proportionate haha but I lost the excess by the time i was like 3/4 years old and i‘m pretty sure the same will hold true for her. Winter is only coming so at least i won‘t need to worry too much if she gets sick and loses her appetite for a couple days.

Ho hon, oh dear .. you always get one know it all. Frustrating as it is try and ignore it she is clueless. My eldest boy was always bigger than the rest of his class, he is older now. I used to get sick the comments from people and the advice so know how u feel. I just let it go now but if there was ever anything said in front of my child as he got older then I maybe would say something out of earshot of him. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->